My eleven year old won't stop stealing.

I want to be clear... I know it's a small amount of money.
She packs her lunch and I have bottles she is to use for drinks, either water or juice. If she really wants to buy milk at school she must pay for it out of her own money, since it is ridiculously expensive (.50 per cup).

She's been raiding my change jar since the beginning of school. I'm saving that money for vacation.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No, you shouldn't have to hide your money to guarantee it doesn't get stolen. That teaches nothing.
    And it doesn't really matter if it's a small amount of money or a large amount of money. The bottom line is, it is stealing.

You need to punish the behavior, not hide your belongings. Enforce negative consequences each and every time - and if it was me, they wouldn't be small consequences. She'd be missing out on a lot of activities with her friends, a lot of freedom, a lot of fun.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Put your change jar somewhere she can't get to it, or buy milk for her to bring to school (they have small containers of milk, like McDonalds serves with their happy meals.) If she really wants milk, she should be able to have it. It's healthier than most juices.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My DD did that. She did not want to be on reduced lunch so she stole change out our Change bucket in our room. I went out and bought a small metal tool box and pocked a hole in it bige enough to fit change in it. Locked it. Never had that problem again.

Answer by louise2 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Why don't you give her money for her milk every morning? Yes this is very minor but it can or could turn into something bigger. Milk is better then any juice that is out there.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would ground her each and every time she took money if even she didn't like the consequences especially if she didn't like the consequences. Personally i would take everything out of her room so there is nothing but her clothes and her bed and she have no toys no phone no nothing and if she didn't like it tell her at least it isn't jail
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It is wrong to steal but y don't u hide it then it won't be stolen. If the child wants milk for lunch,that is a good thing. Kids need milk!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• She gets plenty of milk at home. I don't have to purchase it at school because she wants it. Please address the question, not what you think my daughter's dietary needs are. At her age, she needs two cups a day, one at morning and one at night.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Hide the change

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• tell her that the money isn't hers and you don't appreciate her taking it without asking... that money is going toward a vacation, etc... she's old enough to be reasoned with.
    if she keeps taking the money you might want to consider making her "work it off" by doing extra chores until she gets the point.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't want her drinking the extra milk.

I said no.

That's not what this question is about. It's expensive, it's not organic, and laden with hormones. ON top of that, I said no, and no means no. Period end of story. Also, she has allergies and dairy is very mucous forming. I'm not going to address a behavior issue by giving her what she wants.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010