What can I do? I am frustrated.

My daughter is in the 3rd grade and it seems to me that she is not paying attention in class. When she comes home to do her homework she doesn't have a clue how to do it. She just sits waiting on me to help her and basically give her the answers. I really don't know how she has made it this far because we had this issue in 1st grade she was borderline failing. I feel like I have to reteach her and my DH works 2nd shift and I have 2 other kids to take care of. It is hard to have a long homework scession and have to teach her how to do it. This is the 2nd week of school so I thought they should be doing easy stuff. I explained to her it is going to get harder. She doesn't seem interested in school work at all.

reesemom

Asked by reesemom at 2:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get her vision and hearing checked.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• How old are the other children? maybe they could help you teach her;; also try and get her tested for ADD;;
    becky0507

Answer by becky0507 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• does the school have any tutoring programs available? she might just need a little more one on one help...
    teachers have to teach to the whole classroom and can often go over some students heads without ever realizing that not everyone is tracking with them. Even if the teacher asks, does everyone understand? a lot of kids will be afraid to ask questions.
    its really hard when you have 25 or 30 kids to catch all the ones who aren't getting it.
    You might consider emailing or calling her teacher to see if you can work something out
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Request a conference with the teacher and get her opinion as to what the real problem is. She may have insights that you don't have, and the two of you definitely need to be on the same page. It could be nothing more than a cry for the individual attention that she gets from you when she "needs your help."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would go to the school and talk to the teacher. I would have her pay a little extra attention to her in class. I would ask her to her my daughter questions in class to make sure she is paying attention and learning the information. Some kids tend to just blend in and not have to do much and slide on by, but ask the teacher that way your daughter has no other choice but to learn. Good luck.
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 2:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Her siblings are 6 and 3. She is extremely shy at school and won't ask for any help. I
    reesemom

Comment by reesemom (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would go see the teacher and try to find out if she is relating to your child. Just to see the interaction with both. Also, I would have hearing and vision checked.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've been there and am there too! I understand what you are going through. It drives me insane when my son brings home his homework and then acts clueless on how to do it. Last year it became a big issue..especially when I didn't even know how to do the work he brought home because it had no explanation,it was clearly things he had learned that day in school and since I wasn't there, I had no idea what the homework was about. I would write a not and attach it to the work explaining that he didnt know how to do it and asked the teacher to give me a call. After speaking with her, we decided that she would double check with him before he left school that day that he KNEW exactly what it was that he was supposed to do. That way, He couldnt act like he didnt know what he was doing just to get out of doing his work.This year has been a whole new ballgame for me, but that was last years problem,lol. Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son used to do this too. I know it is awful and I am sorry you are going through this! With my son, I had to sit down and read to him the whole thing. It was not until later in his school career that we found out he is dyslexic. He still; to this day, does not comprehend what he reads himself. He works so hard at reading what is on the paper that he does not know what he read when he is done. Once I read to him, he seemed to do a little better. But it could be an option with your daughter too. They tried to tell me with my son that he was lazy and that he had ADHD and all kinds of things. I was thankful for his 6th grade teacher that discovered what the problem was.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 4:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with talking to the teacher to see how she is behaving in school, get her thoughts and opions on your child. The teacher definatly needs to know that she is having such issues at home!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 10:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010