My daughter is very tiny, any advice on how to help her gain weight?

She is 22 months old and weighs 18lbs. We are a short family, I'm 5'2" and my mother (her grandmother) is 4'10". My mother tells me not to worry, I was the same way. My husband's family is on the short side also. She is being seen regularily by her ped. and by an endocronologist (sp?). They've done more tests than I care to think about on her. I've been giving her PediaSure and she has gained a tiny bit of weight. She eats ALL day and I try to give her high caloric snacks/food (per her specialist) to gain weight but she never gains! She moves non-stop when she's awake. Although I know she's healthy and never gets sick I still worry. The doctor's concern makes me worry even more! I have 3 other children (all boys) and they were small but not this small. I guess I also just want to know if anyone else is going through this. Any parents with tiny children have any advice?

Celyn4

Asked by Celyn4 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Is she consistent with her growth? If she is their is really nothing to worry about she is just a tiny person. My daughter is small too. She has really bad GERD and looses weight or does not gain weight because sometimes she refuses to eat. We put her on pediasure and she has gained some weight so that makes us happy. But if your daughter is consistent with her growth their should not be anything to worry about. Good luck hun!
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• we went through a lot of that with our ds.....he is 2 1/2 and weighs 25 lbs.....he had a lot of issues at birth and his "official diagnosis" is vactryl syndrome or vaders association....one of the things with that is that it is hard for them to gain weight......and while it is definitely not the norm in our families....we do have some rail thin members....at 13....my younger bil was the size of a 10 yr old....we appeased the docs and added carnation instant breakfast to ds's milk until we no longer were able to see them.....he's happy...he's healthy.....he's just skinny!....if she's happy and healthy....i wouldn't worry too much (despite what the doc says).....con't

bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 12:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• unless all their tests say there is something else going on, i wouldn't let them pressure you into anything.....you're that child's mother and you know her better than they do.....is she growing??....is she on track developmentally??.....just keep an eye on things and if you think there is something wrong then go back to them and say, "hey....let's get this figured out".....good luck and try not to worry....i'm sure it's fine!

bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 12:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• (((hugs))) bigblueeyes!
    Nothing pains us more than not being able to help our children, right?

She is beyond smart and talks better than my 3yo. She also knows how to work the system (tears, batting eyelashes, etc) so no problem there. Growth in terms of height is very slow going. I think she's about 28 inches now. As is her weight gain despite stuffing her with ice cream, sweets and snacks. So no, but I was told by family that this is normal.

I guess I'm just going to keep believing it's genetics.
    Celyn4

Answer by Celyn4 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If the doctor isn't worried then maybe you shouldn't be. I had the opposite problem, my dd was a fat baby. People commented on that and totally hurt my feelings. Now at 2 1/2 she is perfect. My sister's youngest is will be six in Dec and she only weights 37 lbs. She is just a tiny girl, nothing is wrong with her and the doctor is not concerned.
    Anonymous

• my daughter just turned 2 and she weighs 26 lbs. she was a small baby to begin with (5 lb 7 oz) and just does not grow fast but she does grow so there is no concern. she eats. she's just small. if you all are not very tall or large peole then reall your children wont be either. so as long as your child is eating well & growing (however slowly) & the dr. has found nothing wrong with her I would not worry about it.
    Anonymous

• thanks, celyn!.....it is very hard to not be able to help them.....but like i said.....he's happy and healthy!.....most of his issues have been resolved so that's a great thing!!!! (and many, many answered prayers!.....lol)....now he just rotten enough that i think he's making up for lost time....lol

bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 8:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• my nephew was like that too, try pedisure that helped his wieght gain.
    kmanivanh1983

Answer by kmanivanh1983 at 10:50 PM on May. 4, 2009