What does feminism mean to you?

It seems to me like in my parents generation there is a big gap in the feelings about what feminism means: There are the radical feminists who say things like "motherhood is slavery" on one side and the radical traditionalists on the other who think that its wrong for women to work outside the home.
It seems that my generation is still struggling to find a middle ground, where a woman can be free to work, to stay at home, or to do both.
In my opionion we still haven't found the perfect balance because so many women feel guilty about the choice they make (whatever it is).
I felt so torn for so long about whether to work or not, if it was "ok" to "just be a mom" or if that meant I was wasting my education. To me, true feminism should mean that regardless of what I decide I can feel free and guiltess to find fulfillment in my path.

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 2:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think a woman should be able to be free to choose what she wants to do with her life just as well as a man should be able to do the same.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Freedom of choice,acceptance in either case. Equal pay in the workforce.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree. I don't think there is any shame in being both a mom and a career woman. Whose to say that it isn't just as rewarding to be the breadwinner? My husband has agreed to be the SAHD when I get back to work.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 2:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• To me, Feminism is about choice. It's about having the rights and the freedoms which give us the choices to be who we want to be, when we want... It's about having the option to choose our path in life - no matter what path that is... Be it SAH wife and mom or childless, Corporate Attorney... Feminism is about having every option available and having the freedom and RIGHT to choose the one that's best for us, regardless of our being a woman.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It means freedom of choice to me. Having the freedom to choose what to do without being bashed by the extremists of either side.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Feminism is about having every option available and having the freedom and RIGHT to choose the one that's best for us, regardless of our being a woman.

This ^

IMO, most parent try to do the best job that they can, and as adults, it is our job to make the best of our lives without using our "upbringing" or parents as an excuse. You have to move past all the BS- times change, parenting models change, acceptable treatments change. Making excuses and being hung up on past injustices (real or perceived) is just a waste of the short time each of is granted. Alice is losing out on a wonderful relationship with her grandson-hope she doesn't regret it, when all is said and done.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• To me feminism is fighting for the right to be equal with men. That means in the workforce, in the home and in politics. It means equal pay for equal work. It means a day when a woman can having a strong personality and not be called a bitch. It means a day when there aren't jokes about how a woman is controlled by her menstrual cycle. It also means a day when there can be stay at home days and househusbands and no one thinks anything is strange about it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Your last sentence is great! I am 68, but not old fashioned in many of my ways of thinking. You must do what you are at peace with no matter what anyone else says, dear. Never say or think, that being 'just a mom' is a vocation less than a college graduate! Being a mom is the most awesome privileges to have been given. Moms are the ones who hold the rest of the family together and fill the bill for mutitudes of teachings and services to our families. But please do NOT loose your own identity in so doing. And to me, when our children are all going to school and moms are then free during the day to work or not to work outside the home, then they should do what is in their hearts to do. Today's moms are amazing! Whether they work outside the home or are stay home moms. Moms have much more to deal with today than what we did when raising our children. All the best to you. To me feminism is being yourself.
    Smiles4U430

Answer by Smiles4U430 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I dont believe that black women can be a feminist maybe a womanist but not a feminist.
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 4:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Feminism is not being held hostage by your uterus but the freedom to utilize it ;)
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 6:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010