Secret shoppers...is it real?..

I got a letter in the mail yesterday stating that this company got my name online after I filled out a form to earn extra income. My objective is to take the check they sent me (in the amount of $1,245.34) deposit it into my account. Then I am to get a money gram for $910.00 and $30.00 send that to the person named then go to Walmart and Sears and make purchases of $50.00 each and keep the rest $205.34. So has anyone heard of this or think that it is legit????

Blazinmom3

Asked by Blazinmom3 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Money & Work

• Sounds like a scam to me, i get alot of those type things e-mailed to me don't do it.
    MyO3WorldMomma

Answer by MyO3WorldMomma at 9:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I did it and got a serious scam.

I had the same things happen to me. I did as they asked and almost got into trouble with my bank.

Good thing I had all the paperwork and got out of it.

But I would definitely call your bank to report them.
    OctoberOrganics

Answer by OctoberOrganics at 9:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Yes, Secret shoppers are real, I do it all the time. My earnings? Usually free haircuts, oil changes, car washes, Free dinners in nice restaurants. You pay up front, and they pay you back for submitting the report. Other methods are payment AND reimbursement. You just need a receipt for something small like a can of pop to prove you really did the shop. DO NOT PAY FOR MYSTERY SHOPPING! There are scam companies out there that charge you a fee, monthly for a list! I have a list already compiled that is free! I have a group as well here on cafe mom to get this information, but as of yet, nobody has joined it because people are so sure that it is a scam they stay away from it altogether. I have made between 50-200 dollars a month
    come join! http://www.cafemom.com/group/84409

romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 9:37 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oh, by the way, anyone that sends you money and wants you to wash it through your bank, take some for yourself and send the remainder to them IS A SCAM!
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 9:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Don't fall for any of those check scams, it's total fraud.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• THere are secret shopping companies out there but I can't find any decent ones around here... This one is most deffinitly a scam!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• This is a SCAM! delete this mail and remember never send money through your account. Mystery shopping is real and many companies pay you to evaluate various kinds of business, like shops, restaurants etc. Nice list of such companies are give in Directory of www.workathomedesk.com
    Vickykool

Answer by Vickykool at 12:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• That check is a scam. Secret shopping is real but it doesn't work like that -- you sign up with several companies (free) and watch the assignment lists for your area. You apply and will be notified if you're approved. Once you're approved you get a file on what has to take place on the shop. (sometimes you have to buy something specific, take notes on certain displays, order a specific drink/food) I have shopped and done restaurants shops.. but you don't get paid until your shop is completed and approved. You have paperwork to do and requirements that have to be met. usually I was paid $5-15 dollars on top of being reimbursed preapproved amounts for my purchase. My hubby and I did this really actively for a while, we would basically get "free" date nights because our dinner cost would be reimbursed and some of the restaurants were very nice.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Hi and i would like to tell you about a Secret Shopper Site I came across. Its called Secret Shopper Work. They are an awesome company and i'm proud to be part of.

You make $20 dollars for every sheet of offers you complete. Then you make $30 dollars for each person that signs up on your site and completes there 1st page of offers.

We get paid on the 1st and 15th of the month through Paypal.

So if you interested in making some cash for the holidays or just to earn extra money check out my site today. Send me a message if you have any questions follow my link now and starting making money today:

http://www.secretshopperwork.com/r/3576
    becky_sd

Answer by becky_sd at 11:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• A very good friend of mine was recently scammed by this exact secret shopper opportunity. If she would've fallen for it - it would go on HER record as a FELONY. Her experience inspired me to write this article about Secret Shopping, it also offers valid links to legitimate sites!

Good Luck!

Tara

basicallygood

Answer by basicallygood at 2:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2008