My sister 24 years old was diagnosed with MRCA. I have not allowed her to see my daughter who is 15 month. It's been over a month now. She just finished all her medication and she goes back to the doctor this week to get re-checked. To top it off her boyfriend has Mrca on and off and she is seeing him again - what should I do about this?calling the pediatrican to see what she says . I just want to make 1000 percent sure she has got rid of the mrca...

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 9:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont know why you are not letting her see her. My bestfriends son who is 3and who is like a nephew to me had it like 2wks ago in his butt the went in and removed it. i was up at the hospital the day after he went in. im 26wks pg. my son who is 2 went to see him a wk after he went home (had to give him time for it to heal). I agree with the boyfriend thing because he obviously isnot getting treated.

But if you are worired then call your ped and ask them what you should do and what precousions you should take if any when she does come to see her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I would definitely call your ped. also i would wait until she hears back from the doc. let the pedi know that she is seeing someone who has had it several times and ask if your child could be infected, and any other info you think is important because it is way more dangerous to a toddler than a grown woman.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 10:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• First of all, are you referring to MRSA? Methicillin Resistant STAPH Aureaus? I have not heard of MRCA, and did a search on it, and nothing comes up. So, if you are referring to MRSA, then I think you need to get a grip. It all depends on WHERE the MRSA is colonized. If she has an open wound with MRSA, that could be a problem. If it's internal, chances are she'll be okay. MRSA can be a terribly debilitating disease, and can cause MANY problems including death, and I do understand that you are concerned about your daughter... but being in the same room with her is unlikely to cause your daughter to contract it.
    Mom_of_7GEMS

Answer by Mom_of_7GEMS at 10:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• As with all possibly contagious or infectious diseases, being proactive with things like hand washing is a good first line of defense.
    Honestly, it sounds to me like your issues go much deeper than just an MRSA infection... because most of the population harbors some bacteria in their body, including MRSA...they just don't go around advertising it.
    I think your pediatrician will tell you to calm down... unless your daughter has a condition where her OWN immunity is compromised, she will be fine.

Mom_of_7GEMS

Answer by Mom_of_7GEMS at 10:27 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i absolutely agree, i work in healthcare, its not so much the baby, because once you are treated you are ok. but the boyfriend, he must not be treated. and once you have mrca you always have it. it becomes dorment and then reoccurs in stressful and ill times. ask what kind of mrsa it is? if it is in the lungs, stay away, it means it is airborne within 3 feet, but if the baby or the boyfriend had it bad, they would be in the hospital in a sterile room.

CALL YOUR PED TODAY AND ASK QUESITONS. LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
    armysgtwife

Answer by armysgtwife at 10:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2008