Lactation Experts??? Breastfeeding Advice on Milk Supply -

I'll try to give you as many details w/o it being too long -

I have a 9 1/2 month old son that I have breastfed from day one. I could never get him to nurse from my left breast so he has only been nursing from the right. My milk supply has been great until the last month or two. I nurse him about 4-5 times in a 24 hour period and pump about 3 times. He is currently eating solids & nursing. I do not pump or nurse from about 9 p.m. - 7 a.m. I only pump about 1-3 ounces in an entire day. I would very much like to continue nursing him until he is 1 year old but my milk supply is decreasing and seems to be doing so fast. I am going to contact my local lactation experts, but wanted to also post this. Suggestions to increase my milk supply. I'm VERY nervous about taking supplements.

have2travel

Asked by have2travel at 9:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem. When my baby was about 4 months I dried up. My OBGYN gave me some medicine it was for heartburn but it also helped your milk production. And I also talked to the lactation ladies at my hospital and they said I needed to pump or nurse at least every three hours. Even at night just until my milk came back. They even said if nothing was coming out I still needed to pump for at least ten minutes on each side to get it stimulated to produce more milk.
    Hope this helps!
    maddie_cash

Answer by maddie_cash at 9:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You can try pumping more often or for longer periods of time. When I needed more milk, I started waking up an hour or 2 before my DS would wake up and pump some milk, pumping in the morning (like5am) I'd get SOOOO much milk! Then I'd just go back to sleep. Like the previous poster said, you should also pump past the time that milk stops coming out. This should stimulate more milk.
    And you said you're only BF from one side, but are you pumping from one side too?? If you are, should def start pumping from both sides, this helps to increase milk supply. Good luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• fenugreek will help to increase your supply. you take 3 capsules 3 times a day.

as far as the dip in your supply. pumping is a very poor indication of how much milk you are making. baby is always more effective at draining the breast. i know you were able to pump more before but that does not mean you are producing less now it just means you are not pumping as much as before.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• To answer the previous poster, I am pumping from both sides. I may get 1/2 - 3/4 ounce total from the left breast (24 hr. period) since he doesn't nurse from that side. But, I still try. I may have to get up once in the middle of the night to pump. He seems to get enough milk from me breastfeeding him during the day, but my husband feeds him one bottle at night before bedtime. I had pumped enough in one day to supply the bottle for that night, but my pumping supply is seriously drying up. I was just concerned that it was indicative of my milk supply. Thanks for the answers. They are very helpful.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 11:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• oatmeal daily, drink a dark beer at night (ob/gyn told me that) and drink Mothers Milk tea by tradiotional medicinals.

there are more ideas at one of my breasfeeding groups
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle together. Double the dose for the first week then go to normal dose. It takes about a week before you notice a change. Drink tons of water, no caffeine, eat high protein, fresh fruit and veggies. Try not to eat unhealthy foods and that will help your milk supply. Contact the La Leche League. You can find your local LLL leader at www.llli.org. Just click on your country, state and closest town. They are great with things like that and they will help you teach your baby to nurse on both breasts. That can cause your milk supply to have problems.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 2:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Please don't drink beer when you are breastfeeding. It is so BAD for you baby.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 2:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2008