Do pawn shops take sewing machines?

I need money and I have a brand new machine....Would you buy a sewing machine from a pawn shop?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• Instead of pawning it, you can just put it on Craigslist. That'd be a better alternative and you're likely to get much more money for it.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't see why not! Yeah,I would.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't buy anything from a pawn shop. My grandpa used to own one, and people try and pawn too many stolen goods.

I think it'd be unlikely that they would take one. It's usually general electronics I believe or guns. Speakers, stereos, TV's, gaming equipment, etc.

But what one pawn shop won't buy the next might. It will all depend on the shop itself.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I found that the ones near me would but the price you'd get for it would be very low... However that's just by me.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 2:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Well anytime you pawn anything you only get at most 1/3 of the retail cost. I'd imagine if a store was going to take a sewing machine you'd get even less.

"I wanna buy a new sewing machine! Let's go check out the pawn shop on the corner!". I am sorry, it just doesn't sound like there would be a large buyers market for that item there. Not trying to be rude, but honest.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't expect more then $30 to $40 for it I know they don't give you what the item is worth but it's something and i don't use it anyway..something my husband bought me thinking i would take up sewing..
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• That is a good idea but with my luck it will sell on payday when I don't need it as bad as I do now, but your right craigs list would be better
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with glamourina... you'd probably get more $ by selling on craigslist
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• if all you need is $30-$40 to tide you over til payday then you might consider selling plasma... if you are eligible then you can make $50 for a first time visit at most places (of course first time visits take a LONG time but hey, when you need cash you need cash)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• @ Elizabiza

Yes, plasma is good. A couple friends of mine do it once a week on their off days and get about 50.00 each time. Although do follow their directions and make especially sure to drink a lot of water the day before and eat a natural meal in the morning. Such as toast, eggs, fruit, etc. Be wary of greasy foods or you can get sick.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010