I truly do NOT understand...I really want to. Why do some mothers go for the bottle b/c their milk has not come in yet? I mean, I just started nursing and never even thought about it...

Like for instance, on that show Baby Story...a good portion of the moms on the show give bottles the first several days b/c their "milk has not come in"

What about the colostrum? How do they expect milk to come in if you are not feeding?

I really am not being rude, I just dont remember this being an issue for me, I want to understand...does it take longer for some women to get milk?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 2:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was going to write the same question! I watch the show all the time, and almost all of them say the same thing! I was totally ignorant with my first baby, I was living at my mom's house in Italy, my DH was in USA, I didn't want to give her any bottles, but she was already in NICU for 5 days, the hospital was far from house and so the nurses would give her formula (and a pacifier too) I countinued to pump (just 1ounce), but when my baby was at home, my mom and the rest of family would panicking because she was crying and so "she was starving" I felt so guilty that I start to give her formula. With my second baby I was in the USA, the nurses this time explained me that the colostrum is all the baby needed, so I continued to latch her (also every 30 min), she looked hungry all the time (I got blister and 2 mastitis too) but she's 11 months now and I'm still BF.
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• They are probably not properly educated on the matter. The first time around I was not properly educated about breastfeeding and lost my chance at it. I felt terrible and to this day wish I would have been able to breastfeed her. The second time around was successful due to my previous experience and talking to professionals and other bf mom's. There should be more programs and information out there readily available to every pregnant woman at their drs office.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Because people don't realize that babies stomach is only the size of a marble at first and doesn't even need an a whole ounce of food. REGARDLESS of how big baby is. By the next few days, it's stomach is shooter marble sized and by one month, Ping pong and never bigger than their fist. So even bottle feeding moms that immediately give more than an ounce are stuffing those babies.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• @annabsmommy: I do believe you were actually doing just fine and didn't realize it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Because they get scared that the baby isn't getting fed and are scared to wait.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• a lot of them are misinformed by doctors and nurses... others don't really intend to BF exclusively in the first place...
    others have other reasons like gnovinger posted...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have had 3 children and have had a problem breastfeeding every one of them. My milk didn't come in for 5 whole days. And that was with feeding them colostrum every 2 hours, plus pumping in between feedings to try and get a milkflow going. Even after my milk came in I would never produce more than 2oz on each side during a 20min. pump session. My babies just never got enough milk from me and would nurse 15min. on each side and still want more to eat.... so frustrating! By the time #3 came along (had a 2, and a 1 yr old), I did not have the time or the patience to just sit there for 30min while he ate just to turn around and make him a bottle to satisfy him. Needless to say my breastfeeding adventures never lasted more than 3 months. Some women are just flowing with milk and honey....I am not one of those women lol :)
    annabsmommy

Answer by annabsmommy at 2:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Your supposed to feed every 2 hours...babies bellies are tiny and BM digests very fast because it is easily absorbed. Not to mention, pumping is not as good as baby and MOST people can only pump an ounce.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Because nothing came out at all not even colostrum.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think to each their own. I think moms should do what they're most comfortable with, whether it's breast feeding or formula feeding. My DD was born 4 weeks early and we had issues with her latching on. And not only that, nothing was coming out. Not even the colostrum. We pumped and pumped for two weeks after she was born and never got anything. My milk finally came in when my DD was 3 or 4 weeks old. And I wasn't even the first to give her formula. When my DD was a day old, since she wasn't getting anything from me, the nurses gave her a small bottle of Similac. I was sad because I wanted to breast feed, but formula feeding ending up working for us and we stuck with it. I hope to be able to breast feed my next child, but we'll see how it all goes when we get to that point.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010