how do you make friends?

My husband is in the military and we have just moved to a new area. This is by far not our first move but it is the first time that we have lived no where near the base. I am used to having that "community" already there on the base. You make friends with your neighbors and at base events quickly. I am a pretty social person and am going crazy sitting in the house all day. I am looking into a new MOPS group. My neighbors are mostly elderly people but nobody seems very social in the neighborhool (drive into thier garages and shut the door before they get out of the car type people). The road that we live on is kind of busy traffic wise but there are no sidwalks to take walks through the neighborhood and I can't seem to find any neighborhood playgrouds for my daughter. How do you meet people in a new neighborhood?

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• look up your area on meetup.com. seriously, it is a great way to not only meet new people but to also meet new people who have the same interests as you and will actually have things in common with you. great base for friendship! good luck
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You could also invite some of your daughter's friends over for a little party of some king (ex: tea party, etc.) and get to know some of the moms. Maybe volunteer at school, children's hospital, etc. Volunteer work brings lots of people around!
    valos3942

Answer by valos3942 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have already looked up groups on meetup.com and sent 2 of them applications..just waiting to hear back :) My son is in school and I will definately be as active at the school as I can be but I also have a 3 year old at home so a lot of the times they do not want you to bring yoru other children with you. Thanks for the suggestions ladies :)
    foxracing43701

Comment by foxracing43701 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010