How do I deal with a "spiteful" 22month old?

My son Raheem can be very spiteful when he cannot get his way. for example if I take too long to give him his cereal when he demands it he will throw a fit.......he will go and do things that he knows he should not do, will hit and try to push over the fan, pull the table cloth off the table, plug out appliances, lie on the ground, open the fridge and slam the door etc....

he does this when he had made certain that he had my eye contact and wait for my reaction.................it this behaviour normal?......have I done something wrong that resulted in this behaviour.......I am trying to be very strern with him......I know that he knows what he is doing.........

Do your toddlers act like this too?

JAgirl

Asked by JAgirl at 9:45 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little girl does that all the time. I just let her know that that behavior is unacceptable and let her know that bad little girls don't get what they want. If she still insists on having a tantrum I take her to her room and close the door so that she can have her tantrum and won't have any interaction because, I've found out, the more you try to talk to them and calm them down the worse they start to act. Just let him know that he can't act like that, he's just testing his limits to see how far you'll let him go. And if you have to give him a time out 1-2 minutes per each year of age and if he gets up put him back down and restart the time. Hope this helps cuz my 2 year old is a holy terror sometimes too.
    BabyLove268

Answer by BabyLove268 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oh yeah...this is the terrible, no good, very bad twos!! I ignore him...I know it's hard, but if he thinks that I can't hear him when he acts this way, he stops and comes to me. Then I take both of his hands and talk to him very calmly!! If he still won't listen (which half the time he don't) I put him in the corner until he stops crying. We have had to put him in his room as well (and shut the door) because he still won't stop. When he stops crying, we go in there and (at eye level) tell him that it is wrong to act that way. It usually ends up working, it just takes twice as long to give him dinner than normal.
    TexasMoM916

Answer by TexasMoM916 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My 2 1/2 year old is going throught the same thing. I can't put him in a room because he can open all of the doors. Sometimes we go through time out for over an hour because he keeps getting up. It's very frustrating. If I find something that works I'll let you know and please do the same
    Overwhelmed28

Answer by Overwhelmed28 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008