Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whats the best way to approach my ex that i want a weekly amount of money for his son?


Asked by michellem7781 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • You shouldn't have to. He should be offering but since that's obviously not the case, just tell him how much you need every week (and do NOT be skimpy about the amount to be nice to him). Be fair to yourself. If he says no then tell him you had hoped he'd want to help provide but since he doesn't then you have no other alternative than to go to the state and ask them to help you get what is due your son. That child should not have to do without and you should not be unduly burdened with the financial load of rearing a child that he's partially responsible for. Do it today so you don't back down. We're behind you. This is the right thing to do.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

  • be bold and just ask, or tell....when it comes to your child never be scared to ask, and its his son too, if he was a man he would of been giving you money from the start!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

  • Go to the courts or Social Services. They will handle all aspects of setting amounts and enforcing support.
    It is very, very difficult to enforce a verbal agreement so just avoid the headache and have it done in writing through the system.

    Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

  • Pretty much through court. I thought I had a good, open, communicative relationship with my ex but when it comes money, you see true colors. He agreed to the set amount and paid when he felt like it. I needed steady support so I took him to court.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

  • I think it depends on your ex. If he's the nice type and you think asking him for the money will work then I'd just bring up how expensive raising a child is. If he's not so nice, then I wouldn't address it with him at all, I would file the necessary paperwork through the courts so if he doesn't pay they can garnish his wages.

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

  • My ex and I were friendly until I brought up the subject of money and I haven't heard from him since. I went to social services and now I'm waiting for a court date. Even if you're friendly you probably shouldn't wait to file just in case. It's better to have it mediated anyway so it's fair for everyone.

    Answer by sbastille at 10:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

  • It's a tough issue, and I'm assuming you don't expect him to be that cooperative. There is no simple or strategic way of asking, trust me. Just go ahead and ask what you want. If he doesn't agree to it, don't argue, just tell him you will go ahead and file it with the department of child support services and in family court. Good luck.

    Answer by hopelessnance at 10:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

  • Just go to court. Get everything in writing, it'll protect you and him and most importantly, your child. They will automatically take the money out of his check, so he can't even touch it, and you will for sure get what you deserve. He helped create the child, he has to help pay for it. But seriously, go to court and get it in writing, as soon as possible. He may even have to pay back child support for all the months he wasn't paying anything.

    Answer by WadeMom313 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

  • You can go to court if you want. You could also tally up the monthly amount you spend on your child and divide it by 4 to figure out how much a week you want... I'd say going to court would be a better bet though.

    Answer by gypsysmiles at 11:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

  • a judge a court order

    Answer by haleyleedy at 11:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2008