Babies Encyclopedia: If your baby had colic, what things did you do to help relieve it?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 3:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first born had it for three months. Rocking her helped, heating pad on the tummy (supervised and on low of course!), going for walks weather permitting, wearing her with a front pack, driving on gravel roads, baby swing & vibrating bouncer, carrying her with tummy pressure, symethicone, it really depended on the day! There were times when I just couldn't take it anymore, and I would have to pass her on so I could have some quiet time!
    RodeoGirlUSA1

Answer by RodeoGirlUSA1 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am huge into chiropractic care, and many people dont know this, but a pediatric chiropractor can actualy help a ton with colic!!! in most casees they can get rid of it completely. I know it sounds crazy to take a baby to a chiropractor, but just think of how much damage was done when that tiny little body was just shoved out of someone lol
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My DD had mild colic. We watched the DVD The Happiest Baby on the Block which gave us great tips. She loved to be swaddled, rocked in her swing, and her pacifier helped. White noise helped, too. We spent lots of time holding her on her side, all swaddled up, in our bathroom because the noise of the bathroom fan helped soothe her.
    Those are the things that might help baby. To help Mom and Dad I can only recommend reading anything you can get your hands on for tips and trying them to see what helps your baby, having endless patience, and trading off as much as possible. If I spent 5 minutes in the bathroom and couldn't calm her it was DH's turn, and then mine again in another 5 minutes. If you don't have someone to give you relief then put the baby in crib or a safe place and take a minute. If they are going to scream whether you hold them or not then you might as well take a minute to recharge and then try again.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We opted to call it "fussiness" b/c "colic" seemed like such a dead end term to us. What worked for us came from several books, primarily 1) http://www.happiestbaby.com/ and 2) http://www.amazon.com/Your-Fussy-Baby-Marc-Weissbluth/dp/0345463005. Dr. Weisbuth's book on "Your Fussy Baby" was very helpful in understanding how sleeping and fussiness have a relation.

I followed the recommendations in Happiest Baby in the Block and found what worked for my baby. Our daughter needed movement no matter what. But the swaddling and pacifier helped the process along. Then when I learned more about sleep I realized that our daughter was very tired during the day and needed more help going to sleep. So, at the first signs of sleepiness we started soothing to minimize the crying.

I had to be strong and remind myself that her having colic was not a reflection on our parenting. And she turned 12 wks and like magic it went away.

cambridgemom414

Answer by cambridgemom414 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My first baby had it for the first 5 months of her life, it was horrible! We tried to keep her as comfortable as possible. I read that some believe colic could be caused by gas, so we burped often, tried special bottles (which seemed to help!), and used gas relief drops. We tried soothing music, swaddling, not swaddling, swinging, rocking, swaying in our arms. We even switched formulas and tried soy to see if it helped. Everything would help a little bit, then around 5 months it was amazing, it was just gone. She was as happy as could be. It really is tough to get through and I would suggest some outside help so you can get rest through it too. I was very lucky that my best friend would come over and help me out and let me nap and shower without listening to a screaming baby.
    HeatherMQ

Answer by HeatherMQ at 9:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We had a baby with severe reflux and a lot of those symptoms are the same. We used Colic Calm or Gripe water. Added gas drops to the bottles. Carried her in a front carrier, moby or just in our arms facing out. She seemed to like the football hold the most (face down on one arm with head supported). We also used the vibrating bouncer, cradle swing and rocking chair. We even ran the tub water and sat next to the tub letting her listen to the running water. Everything seemed to work at one point or another, it's just trial and error.
    marywilliams

Answer by marywilliams at 10:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My daughter had terrible colic for 6 months. Absolutely nothing worked with her. We saw several pediatricians for suggestions, got advice from our parents, friends, etc. The only thing that made a SMALL dent with her was gripe water and probiotics.
    Honeybun09

Answer by Honeybun09 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• First be sure it's colic, and not just something like gas. Gas can be prevented with frequent burpings, a proper diet (for mom if breastfeeding) or finding the best formula. Also be sure it's not other issues with foods that you ingest, or that it's not an intolerance to the formula, etc. These all seem to make baby appear miserable and are all treatable. Be sure to go over things with your doctor to be sure there isn't any other underlying cause. Too many times mommies diagnose a cranky baby as a colicky one, when it's really an underlying issue.
    If it is colic, try soothing music, white noises, rocking, and anything you can to try to sooth the baby.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I walked around with her while singing. It put her out for 3hrs. then she was back up. Little tummy's worked and so did moving her legs in and out before bed, however again I would walk her to sleep. and it worked for a little longer than the walking alone.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My oldest had colic for 6 and half months.. i would rock him, sing to him ,rub his back or tummy.read books.. just comfort him as much as i can...
    kurtkamkaitsmom

Answer by kurtkamkaitsmom at 7:55 AM on Sep. 10, 2010