Babies Encyclopedia: What will happen during my newborn's first checkup?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 3:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The doctor will take measurements to see how the baby is growing (and ask about how often/how much the baby is eating and wetting diapers) and do a head to toe check up: eyes, ears, softness of head, skin, abdomen & umbilical cord stump, genitals, legs and hips... just to make sure that there are no problems.
    If they didn't get the Hep B shot in the hospital they get it at this appointment.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• For the two week newbork checkup they will check his/her weight, length and head circumference. You will be asked how you and baby are doing. They will also repeat the phenylketonuria (PKU) test, which is where the poke the baby's heel and fill circles on a test sheet with their blood. This will be a trying time for you more than likely since baby will be crying and in pain. Of course they will answer any questions you have! (Be sure to write any you have down in a notebook to bring along, I know that was the only way I could remember want I wanted/needed to ask!)
    RodeoGirlUSA1

Answer by RodeoGirlUSA1 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The will weigh and measure then in length and head as well. Ask you questions about their eating habits and I can't remember if they will receive a vaccine or not. Check the soft spot, ears and eyes, check their diaper and do something with their legs lol. My daughter is 21 months so it's been awhile for me, but I will soon find out again I'm 36 weeks pregnant lol.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• they will weigh the baby, measure him/her, and measure their head. The Dr will ask how things are going and answer any questions you have.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I chose a family doctor for my kids. If you also do, they will ask you a ton of questions about the birth. If you are nursing, they will want to know how long on each side. Also, you will need to know how many urine (also called voiding) diapers and how many poopy diapers a day or hour.

Don't feel like you can't ask questions!!!
    JillB2008

Answer by JillB2008 at 12:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• The doctor will typically measure the babies weight, height, and head circumference. Ask questions about the babies diet intake, answer concerns to first time moms. Ask about bowel and urine movements, check to jaundice and other visible possible concerns.

It is a check up.. primarily to check the health of the baby, for you and for themselves. Feel free to ask any questions that concern you regardless of how silly they may, because the doctors have heard it all.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2010