Babies Encyclopedia: Should you wake a baby in the middle of the night if he/she has not eaten in 8 hours?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 3:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never wake a sleeping baby..if baby is hungry, she'll wake up and let you know!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It depends on the age of the baby. If it's a newborn? I would say yes, but after a few weeks - let them sleep.

Answer by missanc at 3:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• my son was 6lbs 13oz at birth and my doctor had me wake him every 2-3 hours to feed him until he was about 3 months old when he reached 10lbs, by 10lbs my doctor said they can go through the night.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• A normal size healthy baby does not need to be woke up in the middle of the night to eat. But you need to be certain to adequately feed him during the day.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Newborns, yes...by 3 months, no.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• niope if the baby wnats to sleep let the baby sleep.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Never wake a sleeping baby!!!
    I can hear my grandma's voice now! haha. If the baby is hungry he/she will wake up.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• NO!! Actually, waking a sleeping baby as long as it is during the day isn't a bad thing. My son was adopted. We picked him up @ the foster home when he was 10 days old. The Foster Mom's piece of advice? If you want him sleeping through the night ASAP? During the day wake him up EVERY 2-3 hours and offer him food...i fifgured since she had 75 newborns/infants come through her home that there must be something to it. We did it and Viola! My DS was sleeing through the night @ 10 weeks!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• That really depends on the age of the baby. If you have a newborn, up to about 2-3 months, it might be a good idea, especially if you are breastfeeding. Otherwise my theory is let a sleeping baby lie! If you create that habit of waking up be prepared to have it continue beyond what you might be prepared for.
    RodeoGirlUSA1

Answer by RodeoGirlUSA1 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I never did, they say you should never wake up a sleeping baby. They will let you know when they are hungry.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010