Babies Encyclopedia: Is it ok to give my 8 month old son juice?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 3:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Generally, your doctor will tell you that your baby should only have breastmilk or formula until they are a year old. I gave my son very diluted apple juice or water if milk wasn't available (if I was somewhere I couldn't nurse, or didn't have formula in the house). Keep in mind that apple juice will probably make your little one have the runs, so either keep it very diluted, or hold off until he or she is a year old. I wouldn't recommend other juices though because your child may be more likely to be allergic.

My Dr. Had a cow that I gave my son apple juice. "Formula only" was her policy. She's not our Dr. anymore though.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• no,they don't need any liquids beside breastmilk or formula the 1st year

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No. BM or formula only until age one, then Water. They can eat real fruit by then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Juice is pure sugar without any of the benefits of the fiber and other nutritious accompaniments of fresh fruit (including chewing slowly). You can only eat one orange so fast, but you can easily down the juice and concenetrated sugar of four oranges in under 20 seconds.

Children who are eating solid foods should be offered some water, but the vast majority of their hydration should come from breastmilk. Formula fed children can use a bit more water because they are unable to regulate their own intake at meals because formula is uniform and always the same.

Juice is a bad habit to start with children and is totally unnecessary. It's even a good idea to wait until at least age three or more. And then it should be diluted. But a child who has been introduced to the thirst quenching abilities of water, won't crave the sugar spike and crashes caused by juice. They'll prefer the fruit as they should.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes..it can be introduced @ 7 months but not to exceed 3-4 oz/daily. This said your dentist will tell you otherwise. My DS wouldn't even drink it until he was 14 months. I buy all natural ZERO sugar added and cut it with water for my 2 1/2 year old...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would wait a little longer personally, but if the juice is diluted and its only a once in a while treat it probably won't hurt anything. I'd wipe off teeth and gums with a soft rag afterward to help prevent cavities.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would probably wait to give juice. Breastmilk or formula and water is plenty for thirst needs of a baby at that age. All juice does is give them a taste of sweeter things! If you are going to give it to them, try to dillute it 50/50 with water.
    RodeoGirlUSA1

Answer by RodeoGirlUSA1 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes you can, I introduced it to my daughter around this age too. But I diluted it with nursery water, so that it wasn't all juice I would do half and half.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes you can give yoru 8 month old juice. I would suggest you dilute it down and not give more then 4 oz a day. But it wont hurt your baby.
    Charlibabe

Answer by Charlibabe at 4:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You can, but I wouldn't. Giving some fruit rather than juice is a much better choice.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2010