Would you buy a double stroller for your preschooler?

My son will be turning 3 a month or so after our new baby arrives. Is it necessary to get a double stroller? We hardly use one for him now...he usually walks. and we have an umbrella one in addition to the "real" stroller. What age did you stop using a stroller?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 3:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I didn't get a double until right before my third was born. My oldest was 3 and she usually walked and the middle one was almost 2. My now 4 year old never uses a stroller, I just use the double for the boys.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• he was 4 when we stopped. Due to his autism,he was a runner

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Personally it is up to you. We did when we hour our second. It has been great on our trips. When we are at somewhere for long periods of time with waking. My girls are 3 yrs apart. I am so glad we got it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son would occasionally still sit in it if we were out all day up until age 5. He got tired legs and would still occasionally sleep. So, I would.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i bought a double stroller when i had my second dd was 2.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• when ds was 15 months he was walking well by then so he started walking and honestly hasn't been in a stroller since...dd was born when he was 16 months so that worked out perfectly. dd didn't start walking until she was about 19-20 months old, when she started walking really well is when she was out of the stroller. even at the zoo, they walk. the only time they don't walk is if i know i'm going to the mall and i know i'll be there for a long time, but they have those "car" things you push, they have double ones at our mall so i use those, they love to "drive", but if i'm going to the mall for a short period of time and have to bring them they walk. I did buy a double stroller right before dd was born, but it ended up sitting in storage forever until i finally sold it. i never used it. i just had ds hold the single stroller or cart...it was a waste of money really. and with him being 3, he has legs, let him walk.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No. It's an unnecessary expense. And as you said, he usually walks.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 3:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree having the double stroller will be good if you are out and about and your older child wants to nap. What about the ones that can be a double stroller or just a stroller with a platform for the older one to stand on?
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My kids were a big closer together- the first two are 26 mos apart, the second and third are 2.5 years apart to the day. However, I did find my double stroller was a blessing when I had a baby and a sleepy toddler somewhere, or if my toddler was running away or otherwise being rowdy and I needed to be able to contain them so I could get my errands done. I'm glad I had it... but also glad I bought it for cheap at a yard sale. If you're on the fence, maybe see how you feel once the baby is born, or see if you can borrow one from a friend or get one secondhand.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We like to go for long walks, so we have a double that we use for those. My almost 3 year old can usually walk 15-20 minutes easily without getting tired. Short walks or around the store, we use the single. I think it depends on your child and what you will be doing
    terriv123

Answer by terriv123 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010