MIL from Hell

She has always been obnoxious but I have ignored her. Recently she has been nothing but disrespectful and rude. Actually Iprefer to call it ignorant and intolerant...this is what happened on Labor Day weekend...advice??

she started demanding I listen to her political views. I told her I had no interest and I'd rather not talk about it. She wouldn't let it go. It got so bad I just walked away or I would have said things I shouldn't . Even my his dad told her to stop.

Then 1 night my DS was not sleeping and standing and the gate saying he was hungry etc. She said he's only 2. I told her not to bother him. She said, "its your kid.". Ummm yea it is!! He went to bed after 10 min of leaving him alone. Then she proceeds to tell me that a friend of hers vacations with their whole family in a 2 bedroom and they love it. Yea because everyone respects each others beliefs and feelings. Degrading comments went on all weekend.

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• well I would not hang around her then.. keep it at hour long visits about your son only - that's it.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i know...I wish I could...it's so hard...we have a house in NH that we share and we used to love going up but now it's unbearable...it just sucks because it's my husbands fav. place....the sad thing is she won't even take the hint if I no longer show up etc...she has never taken no for an answer...i know it is because she is very insecure and "limited" as my mother says but it doesn't excuse it and it does not make me feel any better
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would tell her off or I would tell her this is your family and she is entitled to her own beliefs but so are you and leave it at that.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Use her as a learning tool of how exactly NOT TO BE when your son grows up and gets married, LOL. Hug her and say, "ya know...I've really learned a lot from you" She'll beem proudly as you laugh because she has no clue what exactly she has taught you, haha.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If you do not go, how does she bother you?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My MIL is the exact same way... if you ever want to vent, feel free to PM me! My MIL is currently demanding that I crank out a scrapbook for her father's 80th birthday party in less than a week. She wants 20 pages... I can't even do five in that amount of time with my schedule!

My advice- stay away. If need be, just ignore her. She'll get the hint eventually.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I DO go..I was just saying if I didn't

Yes...I agree how NOT to be with my son! My Mom's MIL was also a nightmare and she is amazing to my SIL!

I LOVE the positive approach. My father had a similar suggestion..."Agree with everything"..she will have nothing to say..
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am sorry you are going through this. My MIL has toned it down since my son was little. She still does things after we tell her not to, but it is NOT as bad as before. We are TTC so I hope she is far more calm this time around. She ruined Mothers Day once because she started shit with my Mom and lied about it.

Take a deep breath and just her attitude go. This is the perfect time to let the little stuff go and pick your battles. Now, if she does what my MIL did and threaten to call CPS and call you a bad mom just because you are not dragging your kid to the doctors for every little sniffle then I would fight back.
    mrsmommy2007

Answer by mrsmommy2007 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Kill her with kindness!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Find out when you know she won't be there and go to the shared house then. Make sure she doesn't know when you will be there. I have similar MIL problems, and have gotten to the point to where I have removed her from my life as much as possible.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010