Do you believe that a young lady that is in a leadership position at church should be "sat down" if she becomes pregnant and is not married?

Sat down means that a person is placed in a probationary state, they are no longer allowed to perform in different ministries until the probationary period is over.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think she should maintain her leadership position since she obviously isn't following a Christian lifestyle, at least in that area. She should not be a leader/role model for other young women of the church who might think "if Ms. X did it, then it's okay for me."

Answer by missanc at 3:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Think of the women in the bible who became pregnant before they were married. Some of them are still celebrated today.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Right Bisket its just for a limited time period.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• yes. if this would happen in our church, that would happen. it rarely ever does though, if the person is not living for the Lord in accordance to our belief, it would normally come out, or the Holy Spirit would tell our pastor and he would address it privately with the individual. If it DID happen it wouldn't be called a "probationary period". It would be until the individual continued in the faith, regained their relationship with the Lord, and alot of prayer. our pastor would not allow it if it wasn't pleasing in God's eyes. and that could take years. also, if someone in leadership or a member of the church were to get pregnant before marriage, then it is brought up to the body of Christ (the members of the church) from the pulpet (our pastor), so that everyone knows that the leadership is on top of things and everyone is on the same page.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Were you there when she concieved??? No ??? How do you know she was not rapped and didn't have an abortion because it was not the "christian thing to do", or she is a surrogote mother, or got artifical inseininated because she wanted a child really badly! Or maybe she had a drunken orgey and had sex with 20 guys----still none of your business!! AND EVEN IF SHE DID THE LAST ONE----I thought that you people were christians and believed God will forgive any sin if repented for---is this still not true? As long as she is teaching what the church wants and is not publicly drunk and whoring around---leave her alone---its nobodys business but her and GODS
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If she is a leader or working in ministries in the church that require a set of standards, then YES it IS the chuches business what she does. she's supposed to be an example to people, younger ones in the Lord, and also new members. this is why things are brought up to the body of Christ (the church) especially things like rape, so that everyone knows and understands what's going on. my best friend, in music ministry, when i was a teenager got raped, since she was my best friend, our pastor spoke to my dad so he could tell me, before they brought it up to the body, so i wasn't shocked when i heard with the rest of them. we were close, but she ended up moving to a different state in a home speciallizing in this, so she went to school there until she had the baby, from there she had the baby adopted, since abortion was out of the question. it really brought us apart, but we're still in touch, not as close as we used to be.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Well in my church no....however the leadership would talk with her and treat her with honor and grace. See Jesus died on the cross for me for her.... for all past, present and future sin ( if this was indeed a result of sin) . So its been taken care of. Grace is merit deserved and mercy is recieving something you do not deserve... forgiveness . She needs to be honest with the congregation about what happened and ask them for forgiveness if this was a result of sin. It would be up to her to step down for a time only if it is sin. Other than that ... carry on as usual and My pastor never teaches us what we WANT to hear but what we NEED to hear... that helps a church grow spiritually ( not number wise)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Armywife43----Seriously---if I was your friend I wouldn't want the fact that I was raped be announced on Sunday morning, no ones business, I thought church memebers were suppose to love, help and forgive one another, not act like they know it all and be in everyones private buisness--
    Church even my church needs to stay out of certain subjects, but they do not, but I wish they would! IMO the following are these subjects:
    Abortion---no one wants to kill their baby and it is a painful process for people and that person doesn't need to hear about hpw there are going to burn in hell. They are already in hell.
    Homosexuality-it is between god and the person.you aren't going to change anything
    Living together before marriage-also between god and the person, I think god understands not everyone can be married, is that person going to be alone for ever?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• it wasn't just "announced" he had a "meeting" with the church body on sunday night...her and her family knew about it too. they had already spoken with the pastor about it and agreed on it. that is another reason why the church needs to know, so there are not any negative rumors flying around, that people can pray for the individual, and offer help if need be.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i believe ANYONE in an authoriative/leadership position in a church that compromises Biblical standards should be 'sat down'. (i didn't know that was a term...)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010