• In the Spotlight:

What is a good age to start taking car of a pet?

KhiKhiMom

Asked by KhiKhiMom at 3:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was 18 months old when he would feed and water his cat, but over all care was up to me. I'd say at around six or older. Depends on the child though. I know some people that are in their 40's and can't take care of a gold fish.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• 3 - 4 years old
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It probably depends on the child and depends on the pet. My kids are 8, 6, and 3.5 years. We have two guinea pigs- they are the family pets. I do expect the kids to help out with the care of the pets, but I don't expect them to take care of them by themselves. I wouldn't want my well-being riding on an 8 year old remembering to feed me every day! The kids are really good at playing with them, patting them, giving snacks and refilling the water bottle, but I do the cage cleaning and am the responsible party in making sure they are getting good care because kids can get distracted. They are really involved with the pigs on a daily basis, but I don't think they're old enough to be totally responsible for them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Young kids (even 2 or 3) can do a lot in taking care of a pet with a lot of adult help. For a pet that the child is completely responsible for, let's just say my 15 year old hasn't hit the point of responsibility to care for them on her own.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• 3!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2010