Should I ask him for help?

My ex makes about$30 grand a year and I make around $80 grand. If he hadn't remarried I would owe him more alimony than he pays in cs but he always refused. I asked him to stay home so I could work and he raised our daughter until he left me when she was 9. Should I ask him for help with her extras like doctor visits, summer camp and vacations even though he and his new wife never ask me for help for help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• do you want him to treat you with respect or resent you. i think he should offer but since 30k is not as much as compared to you and if you want to keep the peace between you guys so that your child never has to feel any resentment between the 2 of you i would say let it go. i think a peaceful relationship between two parents of children should be kept just that. i would say let it go.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would definetly let it go. My ex makes considerably less than I do also and I have explained to him that I understand that he cannot afford to go half on everything that I want to do for our son, but that every little bit helps. I let him decide what he can do and what is fair. It has worked out for us this way so far, and even though his financial contributions do not add up to mine I have never felt cheated.
    KhiKhiMom

Answer by KhiKhiMom at 3:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I wouldn't. As long as your daughter is getting her needs met, the relationship between daddy and his daughter is much more important than the extra few bucks he may be able to scrape up. Plus, if you take him back to court for child support, you may find that it's being reduced.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Seriously?? If you're making $80,000 dollars a year, you wouldnt need his help...you make $80,000.00..he makes $30,000.00, why would he (the one who makes less) help you? Most people I know that makes $80,000.00 a year, has a nanny that will pick the kids up from school and stay home with them for the summer...$80,000.00??? Really!
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 4:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You make more then twice than he does, he pays you child support, and you are asking us if you should ask him for MORE money??? Are you serious? Vacations? You think he should help you pay for YOUR vacations?
    I'm sorry, but, no, you should not ask him to help pay for your vacations. He pays you child support even though you make more then twice what he makes. Were you this greedy when you were married?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would only ask for help if your finances have become so tight that you NEED the financial help. If you want to ask him if he would like to contribute more, that way he can give more if he can but not feel like you're demanding it.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2010