Question on how much cereal to add to bottel?? daughter with reflux

My 6 month old daughter has reflux and is on medication but still has some simptoms. I have been hearing people say they have been advised to add cereal to the bottle.. I currently am starting to feed her cereal by spoon but only 1T a day for now(she has had a sensitive digestive, so we are taking it slow).. I want to add some to her night time/nap time bottle because she wakes up screaming.. any suggestions..

malissamom

Asked by malissamom at 10:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is going to sound crazy but I used the oatmeal cereal in my son's bottle. He too has BAD acid reflux and would wake up screaming as well. The oatmeal helped "soak" up some of the acid and he finally slept like a baby should. I was scared to use the oatmeal instead of the rice but if you get the single grain stuff it's pretty much the same. The mixture I used was 1 tablespoon to 4 ozs of formula. I added more as he started to like it. Because it's oatmeal and not rice, it gets thicker so you might have to cut a bigger hold in the nipple. Good Luck! send me a message if you have any more ?s
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 10:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I would definately first consult your pediatric gastroenterologist about adding cereal to bottles. Some refluxers have issues with choking on thickened feeds. If your doctor ok'a it- the typical amount is 1 tablespoon per ounce. I would NOT give the thickened bottles at naptime at first- you need to watch and monitor how the baby tolerates it first- day feedings should be the first to try the thickened feed. You will also have to use different nipples on your bottle so that the formula can be sucked out properly without being too difficult. But please consult your doctors first!!!!
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 10:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have heard that you are never supposed to feed your baby cereal in a bottle...even if it is so they don't wake up screaming...my son has reflux and I never ever fed him cereal in a bottle-its dangerous..I feel like that is just lazy. You should talk to a doctor and I am sure they will tell you the same thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• First of all it is not lazy to add cereal to a bottle if your doctor says its ok. And mine has!!! Thats just rude....
    Anyway my ped said just to start out slow like a teaspoon in a bottle,(i think my daughter was drinking about 4 oz at a time then) and then if thats ok and you feel like your LO could use more to help her then add little bits at a time. My daughter never went on any meds and the cereal helped some but not completely, but you know every little bit helps!!!
    lovemytwinshk

Answer by lovemytwinshk at 11:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• you should never put cereal in a bottle!
    spoon feeding her some before bedtime should do the trick but i would consult your doctor first.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i had to start that withmy son at 2m he had reflux to. the dr is the one that toldme to do it. i dont know who told the one poster its 1tbsp per ounce that would be to thick for the baby. when i did it wth my son and my daughter whenshe started it was 1 tsp per 2 ounces its just enough for them to get food but not to much. they did fine with it. but I think you should also talk to your dr to find out if they think it is what your baby needs and they will also tell you how much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Thank you all for your input.. I will give her ped a call this am to see what she thinks..
    malissamom

Answer by malissamom at 11:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I would use oatmeal instead of rice cereal and NEVER in a bottle. I would also wait since your LO is so sensitive. A baby can go 12 months on formula or boob juice alone-food is not neccessary for development.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My son had reflux and we had to add cereal in the bottle. I put about an tsp per oz and it even says on the cereal you can mix it with formula. I had to feed him cereal before nap time and before bedtime. Plus use the medicine the dr gives you to help with the reflux.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 11:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i agree, it IS lazy, it IS dangerous and my dr said to NEVER feed cereal in a bottle and everything i have read says not to. spoon feed it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2008