Do you think that saying, "My parents/grandparents did it and I am/we are just fine" is the same as when a teenager say, "Why can't I (insert whatever you won't let them do here), all my friends got to/have one?"

Yes or no and why do you think so?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. However I do think using the excuse my mom/grandma did it and I am fine is lame. For some stuff, yes, why mess with what isn't broken. But for other stuff, we are better educated. For instance my mom says my grandma would give her kids a chicken leg bone to gnaw on when they were teething. Did it hurt them? No. Am I going to do that? No. My mom gave me a wash cloth that had been frozen in the freezer when I was teething. Will I do that? Sure.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No I don't really see the correlation at all. Your Mother did not know any better in that situation, but You know better in this situation with the party.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I do not get the question.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• LOL..no, not really. Thats a far cry from the same thing. I get what you are trying to say, but really...no I don't think so.
    For one, our grandparents/parents are adults and possibly give some of the best advice (along with some of the worst,lol) and for two , we are grown adults and very capable of making decisions for ourselves and for our children...where as a teenager is not so capable.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• LOL...ok
    Do you think if I said:" My mom fed me food at one week and I am fine." is the equivalent to a teenager saying: " Why can't I go to this party? All my friends are going and their parents are letting them."
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• NO, it s not the same at all.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Here's the thing: I think my parents did a terrific job raising me in the 1950's and so did my friends' parents. We were honest and respected people and didn't get in trouble. Nowdays, it couldn't be more different. I am afraid for the future of kids nowdays.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010