S/O of pagan virgin births post. (Not a question ... simply FYI)

I closed that post because it was going no where. I had one answer that might have been plausible, but all the others were completely erroneous. The one plausible answer had to do with Zoroaster. So I did some digging (trying to find an academically credible source) to compare Zoroaster with Christ. I found this site: http://www.irr.org/yamauchi.html

Difference between Zoroaster & Christ:
1 Only Jesus came from a monotheistic culture
2 His death by crucifixion is unique both in manner & redemptive meaning
3 Only Jesus performed miracles
4 Only Jesus spoke on His own authority
5 Only Jesus predicted His resurrection & only His followers rest their faith in it
6 Only Jesus claimed equality with a sole deity.

And according to this source, Zoroaster was NOT born of virgin.

Naysers: this isnt about nit-picking or proving other religions wrong. It's about finding some substance behind these attempts to discredit Chri

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I did find the same info on wikipedia,however, most of this info I copied from other sites. Two of them were sites worshiping this goddess and the other was just a Greek mythology history site. So I guess they are all wrong too :/ If you really wanted to know I am sure you could study it for yourself on your computer. The info I found on 3 different sites all said the same thing basically.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 3:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• So because you wanted an exact replica and couldn't find that (since it rarely exists) you closed the question because you think everyone else is wrong, gotcha. I gave you examples and you completed disregarded them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I gave you scholastic sources from phd's in religion. You didn't want credible, you wanted your butt kissed...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'm just copy/pasting my answer from the previous post that you closed directly after...Some believe Jesus to be an amalgam of several mythical figures as opposed to only one. And with saying that, and if I had the Egyptian mythos knowledge to concede the virgin birth point, can you simply ignore all the other similarities between the life of Jesus and the lives of the mythical figures that predate him? And in regards to "virgin birth", there is some question about the Hebrew word almah (meaning young woman) being mistakenly translated into the Greek word parthenos (meaning virgin). The Hebrew word for virgin is bethulah, which is not used. So, there are discrepancies in translations in all these myths, it seems.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Romulus, Alexander the Great, Perseus, Mithras, Augustus,Dionysus,and Scipio Africanus. Hera gave birth to Hephaestus without intercourse with the other sex.

The problem here is Christianity did not borrow myths, it borrowed ideas about Gods. The first people who believed Jesus was a God already knew what properties Gods had. And when they came to tell about Jesus' holy life, they naturally told it the way they saw it, with Jesus as a God, with the standard God properties. Jesus came from Heaven. Check. To Earth Check. Via a magical God-mortal birth. Check. In fulfillment of prophesy. Check. Heralded by magic God-sent dreams. Check. He did miracles. Check. He brought salvation. Check.

Jesus is a new version of an old idea. Jesus was a new Pagan God.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't get what you're trying to prove here anyway. Are you saying that because there is no other mythological character who is EXACTLY the same as Jesus, that somehow proves he is/was real? The fact that other messiahs existed in cultures, myths and religions throughout time says that is not an original idea- the basics are the same, but the details are different. Jesus supposedly being born from a virgin doesn't substantiate his reality, it only says that someone had a creative mind and one hell of an imgination when they thought him up and added a new dimension to the already known story of a messiah.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• For the record, NONE of them are supposed to be an exact copy! The myth of Jesus was created with aspects of different well known religious myths. It was NEVER meant to be an exact copy... It took different aspects of a number of pre-Christian myths to create the myth of Jesus. No one ever claimed exact copy, or at least no one educated did. Once again, you've failed! As I stated in the other post your education on this (and most likely other factors) is greatly lacking!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• There is actually no proof that Christ was born to a virgin either. So I miss the point of your ranting. By the way there were many claimed virgin births that can not be proven one way or the other. The way they use to prove a virgin is completely inaccurate check. So some that were deemed virgins were not and visa versa.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• WHAT ABOUT VENUS??? She was a virgin goddess yet had a son. Explain that!!!!!
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Well, this is all just fiction so who cares? ;-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010