How can I get my Mom to stop?

My Mom recently moved in with us. When I try to talk to my daughter about something she is doing that is wrong, my Mom always jumps in and yells at my daughter. I am not a yelling type person. I try to talk to my daughter and when she does not listen I choose other things to do rather than yelling at her. Plus when she is not yelling at my daughter, she is yelling at my dog. How do I get her to stop this w/o hurting her feelings?

Peajewel

Asked by Peajewel at 3:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd tell her that you do not want your child yelled at. That you are your child's parent and you'll discipline her how you chose to. if you need help or advise you'll ask her. Until then. She needs to stop butting in.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would tell her to butt out!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Tell that you are trying to discipline your daughter and when she interrupts you it makes that difficult.
    If you have to, take your daughter into another room to talk to her so that your mom if not right there.
    You could also try to explain to her that you are using a different discipline technique with your daughter and would appreciate the opportunity see it through.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think you should sit down with your mom and voice your concerns. Tell her that she is grandma and that she needs to let you be the diciplinarian. Tell her that you know she is trying to help but you don't want your child to be confused as to who is enforcing the rules. Ask her how she would have felt had someone stepped on her toes when you were little. Try not to be accusing, and treat her like an adult..I'm sure she just thinks that she is helping and doesnt realize that she is crossing a boundary.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• She might think that she is just helping you out. When she starts dong that, maybe try putting your hand on her shoulder and saying,"Its okay mom..thanks but I got this" and just take over right from where you left off. Either she will back down and stop or she will say something about it, if thats the case it will give you the opportunity to have a conversation with her about how you feel about her yelling in your house.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Tell her she is the grandma and you are the parent the line is pretty clear she has raised her kids and should now enjoy being the grandparent.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Sit down with her when you have a qiet minute and calmly and nicely talk this over with her. Tell her she is not todiscipline your children (or dog) if you are home. It's your home and you need to set rules now before it's too late.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• your house. YOUR RULES!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• This is where you will have to take your mother aside and tell her to butt out. You are the parent of your child(ren), not her.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• She will likely get some hurt feelings no matter what you say, so you are just going to have to tell her straight up how you feel. Being straight forward with her is the best thing you can do.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 7:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010