I just want to be a "normal" size...

How hard would it be for me to drop from a size 22 to a 12? I've always wanted to be a 12. So I can fit it most store clothes. I wish I had a buddy that could help me start a weight loss journey. I by no means want to be skinny, but would like to be "average". I carry my weight well, and no one can believe I'm a size 22. I'm 24 years old, a mother of 2. I own a stationary bicycle. I know the weight will not come off fast, but are there things you can take to help? Anyone have a success story to share. (We have zero/no junk food in our house due to my husband being a diabetic. I do get drawn into the little snack right at the cash register however.) My husband likes the way I am, and doesn't want me to change. But I do, I'm always exhausted!!

MKSers

Asked by MKSers at 4:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It is sooo low to come off, isn't it? I am a naturally thin person who has gotten fat thru a series of events. I really don't think there is much I could have done to prevent it (serious back issues, cooking 24/7 for a child with special health issues, self medicating stress with food) because it was a catastrophic few yeasrs. But now life has normalized and I have all this extra weight I am carrying around. :P I'm down 20lbs in 3 months but its such slow going, especially when you have far to go. Hang in there. Its the small permanent life changes that will give you lasting results.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I lost about 20 lbs 4 years ago by counting calories and working out 5 times a week. It wasn't hard though because my calorie goal was 1800 calories, I "budgeted" at least 1 treat (hershey's kisses, a doughnut, a bowl of ice cream) into my mean plan for the day. And I found several workout DVDs I really enjoyed and did those. It really worked. I think you have to pick things you can do and you know you can stick with forever and you know you will enjoy. Otherwise you will go off the diet and gain everything back.
    Gooberzilla

Answer by Gooberzilla at 4:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Fill your plate more than half full with veggies and fruits. Only use spray butter, salt and pepper on your veggies. Figure out online how many calories you need a day and only eat that many. Im thinking you could probably have 1700 at this time. Plan your meals..get online and do some research. You could boil eggs and have oatmeal. just start looking up calories and say you can have 1 egg, 1 cup coffee and an apple, then a few hours later you can have a banana. Then have a salad with lots of veggies, some grilled chicken and fat free dressing. It will be a pain at first but you have to get used to eating what your body needs for energy..not eating for taste or enjoyment. Make sure you exercise atleast 30 mins aday. Go for a brisk walk, do Jillian Michaels or other workout dvd. You cna do it. Dont give up. Keep some healthy cheat snacks around. I LOVE SKINY cows for a yummy guilt free dessert!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I went from a 24/26 pant size to a 14/16. I'm bigger on the bottom so in shirts & dresses I'm a 12. Quite honestly how I did it was through lap band surgery. With the aid of the band I have learned to eat less and eat healthy. I cut out a lot of carbs as well. I work out with wii fit for 45 minutes a day. I am trying to lose another 25 pounds but it's harder now than it was at first obviously.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• What I'd suggest is perhaps you could, if you had some time, join some sort of a dancing clas.. Such as salsa or something similar or any hobby you enjoy. I found that I wasn't even trying to lose weight but did through that. I lost a couple of dress sizes that way :)
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Do yoga, drink LOTS of water and eat your veggies. Im working on this too. Im going from an 18 on down, trying to get to a 10. Good luck! PM me if you want an online buddy!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have ten more sizes to go. Martial arts and power90X helps as well.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I recently lost 12 pounds on the South Beach Diet. I probably would have lost more but I didn't stick with it. The basic principal is to cut out carbs. No sugar, no bread, potatoes, fruit, etc. It's pretty much meat and veggies. No alcohol, no caffeine. I got the book from my library and they have tons of recipes in there and menus to follow for a 2 week period. It really worked for me and the DH, after the two weeks of no carbs you can add back in fruit and whole wheat stuff but you don't lose the weight fast. If I had been exercising I probably would have lost more but I have asthma and a bad back and I hate to exercise in general. Good luck! I think the hardest part is just sticking to some sort of plan. If you do that you will lose weight.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i dropped from a size 18 to a 14 by eating more veggies and fruit, brisk walking twice a week around a school track (which was nice fresh air for my son too), and doing a hula hooping workout for 30 minutes almost daily, depending on the weather. It took almost 2 years! I was a size 11 pre-pregnancy and gained about 60 lbs during pregnancy (I baked and ate all the brownies on a weekly basis lol). It's been a struggle getting back down but i'm getting there! If you have a mommy and me or parenting group where you live, you should suggest a walking meetup!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am fighting the battle too. You have to make it a lifestyle change. Change the way you look at food and exercise. Make the best choices for yourself and incorporate them like you do with brushing you teething, bathing. Its all in your lifestyle, Good Luck.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010