Babies Encyclopedia: What is the best toothbrush to use on my baby?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 4:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A finger toothbrush or a soft washcloth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• gerbers Grinns & Giggles..
    I still use it on my dd and she's 1
    the toothpaste is also great b/c it is safe to swallow, no fluoride.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I found it easiest to use a gauzey burp cloth wrapped over my finger to wipe the teeth when DD was under a year. Now we use a soft bistled toddler tooth brush, and I still sometimes go over her teeth with a cloth.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I use the stage 1 toothbrush with my daughter who will be one tomorrow. before this I used the finger one that came in her first kit by greber.
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 4:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• At first I sued the finger toothbrush and then when she got her first tooth I used the Stage 1 toothbrushes.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• A finger toothbrush or a soft cloth is fine to use before they get there first tooth. Once they get a tooth in I would recommend getting the Stage 1 toothbrush. Make sure it is a soft brush and not a hard one.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have always loved the finger brushes, they are so easy to use and the kids seem to love them on their gums. I know a lot of people who use wash cloths too. Washcloths are an effective cheap alternative.
    HeatherMQ

Answer by HeatherMQ at 9:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Soft washcloth until teeth erupt, then a finger brush or an infant sized toothbrush.
    Honeybun09

Answer by Honeybun09 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• when they are little with no teeth, a finger brush works (with no tooth paste) or a damp wash clothe, once they start getting teeth you can use those things or you can "graduate" to a soft tooth brush.
    sunshine86912

Answer by sunshine86912 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• For young babies, a gentle cloth is easy. When they are old enough put things in their mouth, you simply hand them a stage one tooth brush, and let them chew on it, following up to get the spots they missed.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2010