Babies Encyclopedia: What are some good first toys for my baby?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 4:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Soft, colorful toys. Toys with different textures and things that crinkle or rattle. Mirrors are fun for babies, too. And I think you can never start books too soon, so my DD had lots of cloth and board books with pages you can feel for texture and lots of bright colors.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Colorful toys that can be stacked or sorted. Both are good for a baby to learn from
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 4:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Our favorite baby toys grow with the child. We like the Incrediblocks because they are fun to look at and have diffeent textures. We have the Incredicube for storing them and it is used as a toy to stand up with. Later on, we use the blocks to build with - this toy lasted us many years with two kids!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 5:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Colorful toys, toys that can go in their mouth since that's where everything goes lol. Soft books, a mirror!! They LOVE looking at themselves.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Whoozit .... Hands down the best first toy for baby.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 6:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Toys that are sensory geared. Coloured blocks with rattlers, squeakers, tags and so on. Toys that make noise (even though that might make you crazy). Water play is awesome at 1 and up. Just make sure its in a place that you don't mind getting wet. My 1 year old loved it when I put a pan of cool water in front of her with floating and sinking toys in it. It wasn't deep enough that she would want to go in it, but deep enough that she could drop stuff in the water and watch it sink.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The best First toys should be black, red and white. Up until about 3 months they are the only colors babies can see.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If the toy is for a new baby just starting to grab things, I would say soft rattles and other soft toys. Those little soft books with the teething corners seemed to always be a favorite for my kids too. Anything that makes noise when they hit it would also be good.
    HeatherMQ

Answer by HeatherMQ at 9:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My kids loved the O-ball, it's a plastic ball with lots of places for infant fingers to grab and hold. Plus, it's soft plastic so when they bop themselves with it, it doesn't hurt.
    Soft books, and flap books when they are a little older.
    Anything that rattles and they can put in their mouth.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I like toys that encourage discovery and learning. Stacking cups or rings, blocks, board books, and things of that nature.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010