my 4 1/2 yr old wants her ears pierced, whats everyone's opinion on this.

She is the baby of the family and the only girl with 3 big brothers. Her hair is long enough to cover the ears in case the cat or her brother likes them LOL

navywife6

Asked by navywife6 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd say no, only because its very common for young kids to get ear infections from ear piercings...but really it is a personal choice.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 10:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• We tried this at about that age, and she was in day care since we both worked at the time, and she lost one during the day somehow and didn't notice, and by the time I noticed, the hole had closed up. So you can if you want, but you run that risk, and you have to be the one cleaning them, because they won't remember. We haven't gotten hers re-pierced yet, she's 6 now, we're going to wait a few more years, until she's a little older and better able to help take care of them. I didn't get mine pierced until I was 8, and one got infected and we had to let it close up and I got them re-pierced at 10.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It's a personal choice: We got our DD done around that age; It's painful to get done, and she, DD, afterward refused to let us rotate, and clean them....so as a result they got infected, and had to be removed. She this day talks about how she had it done, and how awful it was, and how she won't do that again until she's a teenage. Oh we got them done because she wanted it done....

It really depends on your child and you. Regardless of the pain she felt getting them done is she going to let you clean and care for it daily or is she going to fight you on it? If she's more likely going to fight you on it then I say, wait until she's older.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• This is your choice. I pierced all of my children's ears when they were babies, around three and four months.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My daughter is also 4 and her ears are NOT pierced. I plan on waiting until she is old enough to properly take care of them...probably not until she is 6 or 7.
    MommyJaime

Answer by MommyJaime at 10:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I was three when I got my ears pierced. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. My mom taught me how to rotate them myself. She would clean my ears with rubbing alcohol. It didn't sting very much. I didn't even cry when I got them done. I think it depends on your daughter. By the way, losing earrings seems to be a natural occurence, lol. I'm sure, even as adults, we've all done it at some point or another. I did it, too, and had to get an ear re-pierced when I was nine. I really don't seem the harm as long as you, your daughter, and the piercing studio/pediatrician agree.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 10:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have 3 girls and I pierced their ears all before 5 months. When they weren't old enough to play with it and get them infected. Why people wait this long to do it is beyond me if they might "possibly" get it done one day anyway at a young age. It's just that much more of a hassle, especially when the child really doesn't know what she just got herself into and wont let you near them. lol

There are earrings for kids with backs that screw in and I have a hard tome taking them out! Those are preferred so one doesn't go missing before it has a chance to heal. Up to you mom! Good Luck :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i have a 4 yeat old girl who wantsn it done and her father says to too but i think they should be a little older to understand the importance of taking care of stuff like that because right now at this age all they care about is playing with their toys
    reckgeth2

Answer by reckgeth2 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It's her ears. If she wants it done, then let her do it.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Both my 9 year old and my 1 year old have their ears peirced. I had them both done when they were about 4 or 5 months old. My oldest also had a second peircing done about 2 years ago. Neither of my girls have had any problems and I think girls look adorable with peirced ears.
    scheli

Answer by scheli at 4:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2008