Babies Encyclopedia:# What is the best milk for my child? Whole milk, lactose free, soy?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 4:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Almond, Rice or Hemp.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I guess it really depends. We use Whole Milk from what I am told that is best because it has all the good fats to help the brain to develop but I am sure the others are good too for children allergic to lactose and everything.
    Charlibabe

Answer by Charlibabe at 4:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If they are lactose intolerant, I think Lactaid is the best to use..thats what my son was on until he was about 4/5 when he outgrew his intolerance. Other than that, as long as your child can tolerate it, I think that whole milk is the best milk to use up unti labout the age of 5 and then to switch to a 2% or 1% milk.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think it really depends on the age of the child. Birth to a year breast milk is best. After a year whole milk due to the fat content needed to support baby's growth
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 4:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Breastmilk. Even after a year, breastmilk is better than whole milk.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Human milk for as long as possible.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The best milk for my baby is my breastmilk!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 5:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When I introduced milk to my daughter I gave her Whole Milk to this day (21 months) she LOVES it.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• of course breast milk is best. if however you can't breastfeed i suggest enfamil premium lipil. then if your baby is over a year old whole milk.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 5:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• For ages 0-12 months either breast milk or formula. After 1 yr they recommend at least from 1 yr to 2 yrs that you give your child whole milk. I always started with 2% since it was less fattening then whole milk.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010