Babies Encyclopedia: What is the best sunscreen to use on my baby?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 4:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Under 6 months use only clothes and hats no sunscreen at all. Over 6 months and baby one should be fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I use Coppertone water babies brand
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Either California Baby fragrance free or Badger brand. Safe & almost chemical free.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You aren't supposed to use sunscreen on babies under 6 months. But I have before, just make sure it is "natural" and that would be ok for a younger baby. I use coppertone baby sunscreen on my kids! =)
    Charlibabe

Answer by Charlibabe at 4:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am all about Coppertone Water Baby Sunscreen in 70 spf. I use it any time we are going to be out in the sun.
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 4:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I always use coppertone waterbabies on my little ones.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 4:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I like the Badger brand as well. Also, Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I choose not to use sunscreen and instead use a physical barrier between my baby and the sun. this can be a shady tree, an umbrella, clothing, etc.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 5:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I used and still use Coopertone Waterbabies for my daughter.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It is recommended not to use sunscreen under 6 months. For 6 months of age and under clothes and a wide bream hat is just fine. For ages 6 months and over get something that is SPF 50 or higher and it's something that also helps block both UVA and UVB.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010