2 year molars!

My 2 year old is SO whiny and I discovered that her molars are coming in (poor thing) what can I do to ease her pain besides Tylenol? How long does it take for them to come in? Also, it hurts her when I try and brush her teeth right now, how did you get around that?

jokermom

Asked by jokermom at 10:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son went through this early, but quickly. Instead of a toddler tooth brush, try the little rubber brush that goes on you finger (Watch out though, cause it hurts if they bite!) It wasn't as rough for him to use that.

Also, you can use a little vanilla. Put a little on your finger and rub it on the gums. Don't do too much though!

You can also wet a clean wash rag with cold water. They can bite on it and it will give them a little relief.

Good luck!
    TexasMoM916

Answer by TexasMoM916 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You can give motrin for the pain. Teething tablets still work for the crankiness.

How long does it take? It's hard to say since every kid is different. My daughter has been working on her 2nd molars for about 5 months now. She'll be in pain and chew on anything she can get back there for a week and then she'll be fine for a week.

To help with brushing - try orajel. Put a dab on the molar spots before brushing. It doesn't last very long (30 minutes tops) so it's worthless for long term use but perfect for things like this.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2008