How to handle over protective dads?

I am getting married and my sons dad doesn't want anyone else punishing our son. I think when you get married they should i mean my hubby and i do not spank my son we use time out. My sons dad has called me several times of the past two weeks for me to get onto my son. what do you think i should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do you mean you think other adults should be able to punish your kids? I think if you and hubby are living in different households, your rules at your house. His rules at his house. IMO, if that is what you are asking.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 4:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Me and my Hubby live together but my sons dad lives in a different state, My sons dad doesn't want anyone else punishing my son but him and i. But i think if you are married to someone they should have the right to punish them too. what are your thoughts on this situation.
    proudmom_06

Answer by proudmom_06 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Make it a common response/ of respect/ .... toward the child that it isn't a case against him. Although if it's working for the dad, and the son takes that out on you, it's only time that will change things, otherwise, the son and the dad will have the >>"opposing opinion/ belief game"<<< used to make you and your methods be outnumbered. I guess at an age for all sons, they need to learn the things on their own, when it's only upheaval being created .

No offense to you, but it's a game they are playing and you aren't allowed to play it, ....honestly}}} it's their game, let them play it alone.

<
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Also very important if it's something asinine that the son is doing I would not let him stay. It's not your problem. If he can't behave, don't allow him over. Period.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree and thank you
    proudmom_06

Answer by proudmom_06 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010