• In the Spotlight:

How do I get more sleep? My son wakes up every two hours throughout the night!

My 15wk old son falls asleep on his own btwn 7 and 8pm, at which time we put him in the crib set up in our room. He wakes very frequently throughout the night. Screaming. I do breastfeed, during the day he now goes about 5 hours btwn feedings. He takes about 3 naps throughout the day, ranging from 1/2 hour to hour. Some nights he will go longer the first stretch but then he is up every hour or 2. He does have gas, which I think wakes him up and then he can't fall back asleep. If we bring him into bed with us, he will fall back asleep for a long stretch. Any suggestions?

shanesmomnh

Asked by shanesmomnh at 10:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's only 15 weeks, I don't see an issue with him sleeping in the bed with you. We did that with our daughter until she was about 6 months. And then she was in her own bed from then on out. But also, whenever he sleeps during the day, you sleep too. Lay him in the crib and you lay down, or lay him in the bed with you. Me and my DD had naps on the couch pretty frequently for the first few months!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• if co-sleeping allows you to get more sleep then you should do it. that's just one of the many reasons why our family co-sleeps.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:11 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have the same thing happening with my 3 week old. We started making more noise during the day when she sleeps, and when she is awake during the day we try to keep her up a bit, holing her, playing tummy time, bath, etc. I breastfeed too, and it seems 3 1/2 hours is the longest stretch I can get.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 11:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• my 12 week old did the same thing. when we first put him down he would sleep about 4 hours maybe and then up every 2 hours after that. I cut down his naps a day to just 2 of them the first one half hour and the second one maybe an hour and a half. try keeping him up till 830 to. Oh he sleeps in bed with us to that seems to help alot. But theres really not to much you can do other than that. my son grew out of it and now only wakes up 2 during the night. To get more sleep try to get ur b/f or husband to let u take naps while he babysits till it gets better.
    DanielleStover1

Answer by DanielleStover1 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I recommend cosleeping. Especially since you're breastfeeding.- Good job on the breastfeeding! :) He'll learn to latch without even waking you after a time. And I think it's ridiculous to put an age limit like 6m on cosleeping. lol My two oldest slept with us til they were 3y and 17m.. My two youngest sleep with us still at 20m and 4m. (and my two oldest still sleep in our floor at least part of the time! lol) I think if it makes a child feel more secure then it should be allowed. They're not little forever. I'm sure there are very few college students camping out in their folks' room still! ;)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 1:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Sounds like he wants to be with mommy and daddy. My 9 week old son sleeps with us and I get up with him 2 or 3 times during the whole night. I just change him and nurse him and he is back to sleep. Let him be with you and it is so much better.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 1:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• There is a new product that you should check out at www.magicsleepsuit.com. Its designed to help babies sleep better and longer. It was designed by a mom and pediatric physical therapist. it helps sooth the baby and calm those twitches that wake the baby. Moms in the testimonials have some great comments about how it helped them.
    Anonymous

• try this: give him gas medicine BEFORE you feed him. Give him a night cap--feed him right before YOU go to bed and lay the sleepy baby back down and you'll get at least 2-4 hours that way. My babies are 6 month twins and that's what i do. They still wake up various times a night and if i don't feed them before i go to bed, i get less than an hour of sleep just because i know they'll wake up hungry and so, that's what i do. Plus, i leave on the radio for classical music and i go to bed. i would discourage co-sleeping, but that's a personal choice.
    jsks826

Answer by jsks826 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2008