I need help making a decision regarding my 17 month old...

He has had about 6 or 7 ear infections since birth. His Dr. just reffered him to a ear nose and throat dr. What he had to say is that we can wait it out andhope the ear infections stop as he gets older and ones that come up just keep giving him antibiotics for and hope it cures itself. Second choice is to do tubes. I really don't want to put my son through getting tubes but if he won't get anymore and it helps I will. I just don't know what to do. Any thoughts or any experiences with this? Thank you... also if I choose yes with tubes what do they do exactly??

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 4:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmmm that is a big decision. My step son (whom I never see) has tubes in his ears and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. He's had them since birth and he's now 7 years old. They just drain fluids (thats what I was told anyways) I hope this helps you and I really do hope your little one gets better soon! I'd really research the tube thing before you decide anything :] Good Luck mama
    KrazyKutie

Answer by KrazyKutie at 5:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I apparently had a lot of them and they suggested tubes, but, my mom declined and I outgrew it and have had none since.

I know a person whose eardrums were messed up by tubes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son had tons of ear infections and his Dr. put him on a series of antibiotics all winter instead of having tubes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Thank u
    ktinaza

Comment by ktinaza (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have a friend that had tubes put in her daughter's ears and she had to go back within a week because one fell out. I also just read on here of a Mom who said that the tube is in the ear at an angle and is causing her little one pain. So, I would try to wait it out first. Plus after reading what the others have said, it seems like waiting it an option.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Depends on how much you are wanting to avoid tubes, or use only as a last resort, and this may be tooo "out there" but have you looked at diet? Wheat and dairy allergies can show with little ones as ear infections and no other noticable signs.. After a month or two off dairy...no more ear infections. My son also had them when he was still only nursing and after one course of antibiotics and then it recurring-I went to a homeopath, cured it that way and never had another one. Hard to wait it out when your little one is sick though.
    mamatrip

Answer by mamatrip at 10:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010