Would you let your 16 year old...

Go to a party that you were pretty sure there would be drinking at?

Peajewel

Asked by Peajewel at 4:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• nope

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• nope-we call the parents beforehand and make sure there are adults there and if not-NO PARTY
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 5:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes. Same as my son. I trust him to not drink or get drunk. I also expect him to try a sip or at least hold a cup the whole time and "drink" so as not to deal with any peer pressure.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Probably not, but it depends on who is going to be there. If it's just a small group of very close friends and the parents will be there, then possibly. I really can't say though, my DD is only 16 months so I've got tons of time before then!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Ok, I'm not quite there yet. Mine is 14. I want info at this point and NO!
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Depends on the child. My oldest DD (now 33) was responsible and didn't do the drinking thing at 16. I had no worries about her at any party. Same with my now 18 yr old twin boys. They are against under-age drinking. They never cared to go to parties like that. Now, my younger DD, (now 31) was a whole different story. She tried anything and everything to do thngs she wasn't supposed to do. So, we really had to monitor her with a tight leash.

So, having said that, it all depends on your childs ethics and your trust in your child.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• no way
    ladys007toner

Answer by ladys007toner at 5:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• abso-freakin'-lutely NOT. Unless I knew/trusted the family hosting the party they wouldn't be going at all anyway. My child will not drink til they're out of my house, period.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Eh...I'm not sure.My oldest is 10 ...but I do have 3 step children thta are ALL teens. I would be skeptical of letting one of them go..but it wouldn't be my decision to make.But you know..they are good kids and I would trust them to make the right choice. I would make sure that they had my phone number and knew that they could and SHOULD call me if something were to happen, if they were to feel uncomfortable or be put in an uncomfortable situation...I would come pick them up.
    I would think that by restricting them to go may cause for some "white lies" in the future about where they were going and who they were hanging out with.Thats really a tough call to make.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'm thinking no, but I really understand what BraydenIsMySon saying also. I have a long way to go, before I have to think about it.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010