Homework for kindergardeners.

How much is too much homework? My son who is 5 get's about 2 hours of homework EACH day. What is the normal amount for kindergarten?

dhhaj

Asked by dhhaj at 10:57 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is in Kindergarden now and gets about 10-20 min of homework each day. My son is in 5th grade and gets homework maybe twice a week that takes him about an hour to complete. I think is depends all on the teacher and the school. If you think it's too much, then it is! Talk to the teacher. Communication is the only way to really find out for sure.
    taralynga

Answer by taralynga at 11:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It really depends on the school district and what they expect the child to be able to do; I homeschool now, but I did send my kids to Public School, here, for Kindergarten. In Kindergarten they had 1 hour of homework to do every night. Mainly it was going over flash cards and the the weekend there was written work to do. MY DS went to PS (public school) for 1st grade and had 1-2 hours of homework every night: Math work sheets, spelling words, writing etc. I have relatives whose DD is the same age as my DD: So they are in the same grade. Last year when both girls were in Kindergarten we were comparing what the 2 girls were doing, because not only were they in the same grade but DIFFERENT school districts. My kids were doing a lot more work then her kids..... More was expected out of the kids here.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I think that is a lot of homework for kindergarten. I believe that their homework should take them no more then 10 minutes. If you find that it is taking a long time I would go and talk to the teacher and see what she says.

Where I live the feeling is that kids are in school for 6 hours and that those 6 hours are used to teach and reteach things. The kids are worked very hard in school so they do not have a lot of home work. I also do not consider the reading that they have to do every night as part of their home work.
    Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• That is too much he is still a baby and needs time with mom & dad and time to unwind. Whenever I see this type of thing it tells me the teacher is not doing what she should be doing in the classroom and is passing it on to the home. I would think 20 minutes is enough homework at this age plus maybe 20 minutes reading time together. If I was you I would complain. When Brianna & Samantha were in Kindergarten there was one Kindergarten teacher that did the same thing the parents complained and the workload got lighter.
    kleea1969

Answer by kleea1969 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Destiny had an hour and a half of homework last year. We dealt with it for the first month, thinking that we just needed to get on schedule and that it would get easier. When it became too overwhelming, I made an appointment with her teacher. It turned out that homework was not supposed to take longer than 30 minutes and she hadn't realized that the workload was as time consuming as it was. I'd make an appointment with her teacher and see what she has to say.
    diandradawn

Answer by diandradawn at 12:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I think ours takes like 30 mins or so but depends how much he cooperates. ...But I get annoyed when the homework includes extra stuff that I have to do (he got a sheet a week or two ago that said I had to BAKE something - say what? I went out and bought the items instead. I'll bake when I feel like it, not when THEY tell me to.)
    Anonymous

• I never got homework that took me more than 10 minutes to finish. That's too much for kindergarten. I'd complain to the teacher.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• IMO that is way too much homework for a 5 year old. I'd talk to his teacher, and see exactly what she expects from him. I wouldn't make my 5 year old sit doing homework for 2 hours! I'd say maybe 15-20 minutes each night would be plenty. Again talk to his teacher, maybe all that homework is work he didn't complete in class that day. I'm sure the teacher will tell you she doesn' t expect any 5 year old to sit for 2 hours after being in school that day...that's way too much, and will frustrate the child....not to mention the mom!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It depends. Are you in a full day kindergarten or a 1/2 day kindergarten? Because we have both in my school district and my DD is in the 1/2 day class so we have to go through a lot of things at home, but I have a friend who's DD is in the full day class and they don't have to.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Maybe 3 homework sheets each night? We also have flash cards, but I don't call them out everyday..... We probably spend 15-30 minutes at most each night.

Of course, i live in Louisiana, and our school system sucks :D
    awhittington

Answer by awhittington at 3:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2008