This is so stupid lol, but I have a question about the 4.0 grading scale

When I was in high school, we didn't have that scale, and we were never told what it meant exactly. Now I'm in college again and I was wondering about it. I assume that a 3.0 is equal to a 90, 4.0 is equal to 100. Is that correct? And if that's true, then a 3.4 would be a 94, correct? If I'm wrong about this, will someone please explain?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 5:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in

• The 4.0 scale relates to letter grades. A = 4.0, B = 3.0, C = 2.0, D=1.0, F=0.0.

So they take your final letter grades, convert them to numbers, then average them.

So if you had 3 A's, 2 B's and a C, your GPA would be 3.34 OR (4+4+4+3+3+2)/6.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• well i dont know about that.. but when you get a grade for a class, your going to get an A, B, C, etc. A is 100-90's B 90's-80's, C=70's.
    your GPA is what your talking about. 4.0 is the highest, and what you should strive for. any lower the 2.0 is really bad. my GPA for my associates degrtee was 3.58 and i was on the deans list.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• 4.0 is an A+ average. It's the highest you can get
    3.0 is a B etc
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Thanks ladies! That was confusing me so much lol. I knew that a 4.0 was the highest, and that 90-100 was an A, etc., but I wasn't sure where the decimal numbers came from (like the examples geminilove and PURPULbutterfly gave).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• A 4.0 is the highest gpa (at least in college, in high school we have a weighted scale and an unweighted scale) and it depends on what points the college assigns to each grade. Assuming it's a flat A=4 B=3 C=2 D=1 they would add up the number of points and divide by the number of grades.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 6:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

Next question in
COLLEGE GRANT!!!! HELP...Please

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
How can you tell