My smarty pants 4 year old

How would you answer this question coming from a 4 year old.
"mommy why can't i go to school today? We aren't jewish!"
This question came on the back of me trying to explain to him that schools were closed today. he is very excited as this is his first year of public school and just wants to go every day and never wants to leave at 11:15 when it is time. LOL I tried telling him that they can't only have us off on our own hollidays because it would just be confusing to know who should come to school. But then he asks. "so will everyone be off on Yule? Can they come over?"

UGGGGG

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Your kids didn't have school today? It was a Jewish Holiday today? Which one? As a Muslim my kids will not be attending tomorrow because it will be eid so they ask me why the other kids aren't going to be off and I just tell them the short and very blunt truth, those other kids are not Muslim so they don't celebrate Eid. My kids are 5 and 6 so I would venture a similar approach could be used with your son. Although Yule generally coincides with "winter vacation" which we all know is still Christams vacation repackaged in a non-religious name so chances are many of the kids will be off.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 5:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• your schools were out today??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Sounds like he is just very inquisitive. What a great spirit!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I didn't know schools let out for Jewish holidays. That is pretty cool, but what about other religion's holidays?

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 2:59 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'm not sure why but maryland schools are closed for Rosh Hashanah. I guess it is because there are several prominantly jewish neighborhoods in baltimore but my sons question got me thinking. There is also a very strong Muslim and Pagan community here as well, why is it they only let the kids off for jewish and christian hollidays. It really doesn't seem fair. So how can i explain to my son something i don't think is right either? Man it sucks having a smarty pants child who asks 20 questions all the time!
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2010