Do you find it easier to have a routine?

I am a mom of 3. i just had my twins, and i have a 3 year old. with my first child i had no routine..everything just went as it came,..and honestly im thinking if we wouldve had a routine then me and my dh wouldve been alot better off..like we never got "us time" due to the fact that we never knew when we'd be alone..ex:no "set" bedtime..etc...you get it.anyways...also i co-slept with my first baby..also meaning i had to put her to sleep each night, eiether by nursing or laying with her..etc. this time with my twins I NEED A SET ROUTINE!!! they are only 4 weeks old now so im trying to start this NOW!! i already do not nurse to sleep anymore and i have gotten them pretty used to the crib,..now my question do you find it easier to have a routine then it is to "just go with the flow"? if so what's your day&nights like?

mywonderyears

Asked by mywonderyears at 5:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had to have a routine. There are still nights when it gets out of whack but they are rare and when it happens, the whole day is screwed and I feel like I spend the next day catching back up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Oh, absolutely! It is so much easier to have a routine! The schedule helped me to get everything done that I needed to do, helped me to protect time for my husband and me, and it just always feels really good to be able to cross things off the to-do list. Since my husband's death in April, the routine has really helped me to keep functioning ... I often go on auto-pilot, doing what is on the schedule without thinking about it. My kids are 4, 5, 6,and 8 now ... and the routine is a wonderful thing! Makes life so much easier!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have a routine. I have a 2 year old and a 5 month old. Without some kind of routine I would go crazy. Lol! My little one is my "alarm clock." I get her fed and dressed for the day and then fix breakfast for me and my 2 year old. Then we go about our day doing what ever needs to be done. Around 6 things start getting crazy again. I fed my baby her bottle and babyfood, then I cook our family dinner, we eat, give baths, brush teeth, put on pjs, read a story, sing out night night song, and finally put the kids are down for the night around 8.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When my kids where babies. I never had a routine. Just went with the flow. But as they got older I slowly got then in a routine. meals at a certain time naps at a certain time bed time at a certain time. It helped so the kids knew what to expect.  I never had a problem with bed time. Cause they knew bed time was at that time.

Answer by louise2 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Most definately everythings works better on a routine. Very scheduled especially during the week.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son is living with high functioning autism, so routine is everything to us! We live on 4 words~ Structure, Schedule, Order and Patience.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'm very much a routine person. It makes it much easier to plan my days around their sleep/eating times instead of getting somewhere and them being sleepy/hungry while I'm trying to buy groceries, check out library books, etc.
    I have 5 kids that range in age from 8 weeks to 13 years, so it's a little hectic - which is all the more reason I need a schedule! But, all of my kids including the 8 week old are in bed at 10pm and sleep until 7 am, so there is time for my husband and myself even if it is a little late at night. On weekends, we also have naptime from 1pm-4pm for the younger ones and the older ones entertain themselves (the younger ones nap during the week too, but hubby isn't home).

Answer by missanc at 6:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• ours is very strcit and stable, and with soon t be 5 kids, that works!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Routine is a must around here!!!! You just have to find one that works for your fam. Try one out for while and tweek it as you go! GL!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010