Why Did McCain Say That?

Why did McCain correct the lady in the crowd the other day when she was saying that Obama is "an arab"? Why did he shake his head "no" and take the mic from her, and then tell her she's "got nothing to fear" if Obama should become president? Isn't that what he and his supporters have been selling all along? (And what I've heard here so often?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, you are true, but thing were starting to get out of hand. I think McCain got pressure to tamper it down. When things get to the point of people yelling to behead, hang, and kill someone it is over the line. Obama has a white mother and grandparents. His grandfather was in the military and ran a furniture store and his grandmother was Vice President of a Bank, not much of a terrorist background if you ask me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• His campaign created a monster and he was trying to save face!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If he would have said nothing, Obama people would be all over it. Now that he said something, they are all over it too. Get over it. No matter what he does is good enough for you Obama people. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon at 11:11. I think McCain and his camp WERE wrong to start this whole thing. But I really don't think they ever believed it would go this far. They realized their mistake and now the'ye trying to make it right. I don't agree with the way they were campaigning. It was a dirty fight. But Obama isn't without fault, either.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• "you Obama people?" Wow, how devisive and hateful you come off! Good lord! I know "McCain people," and all they have been saying is so scary-That he is the antichrist, that he's a terrorist, etc...So when I saw that short clip on the news, I thought I'd see what other's take on it was. The "Obama people" I know have NOT been all over it, in fact, they've given McCain credit for trying to take some of the fanaticism out of their rallies. I give him credit for it, too. And I was having trouble making up my mind bc to me there's good and bad about both candidates.I am leaning towards voting for Obama now, though, because his "sheep" don't spread so much fear and hatred. Thanks for pushing me towards Obama more, Anon 12:11 !
    Anonymous

• *he* meaning Obama...
    Anonymous

• I think the main reason he said that was to try to look good as an attempt to regain support he had lost. As I predicted, he's straight back to his disrespectful comments. Palin hasn't told supporters making hateful comments at her rallies to stop. Television ads continue to spread false rumors.

McCain is so inconsistent it's scary. Palin is so aggressive and dishonest (denying Troopergate finding of abuse of power, for example) it's terrifying.
    Anonymous

• Because Obama is NOT an Arab and Obama is NOT a terrorist and McCain, as a decent human being, finally realized he needed to say so to the ignorant masses who took him and Palin seriously when they suggested otherwise.
    Anonymous

• He's trying to rearrange the chairs on the titantic!
    Anonymous

• that last one (1:31) was the best answer so far! extra points for creativity! and for the lol!
    abusedmom

Answer by abusedmom at 2:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008