Children helping budget/plan family menus for school

In my son's third grade class they are working on estimating numbers. The easiest, most accessible way to do this is shopping. So we have to ads and pretend like we have $100 to spend. I can get behind this. However, now they are recommending that we have our child help us budget and plan for our family menus at home so that they have a better idea of the money spent and the amounts needed to help with estimating numbers. I guess I always thought of that as something you do with kids around 13-14. It just seems a little early to involve kids into something like that? When did your schools or you start doing that sort of thing with your kids.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest is 8, so not yet ... when I was in school, we did this at about 12.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• around 12-13
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• See, my son is 8 now. I was thinking we did it around 13-14 when I was in school. But then I was thinking maybe I was wrong.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Comment by Mom1Stepmom1 (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010