Need help around the house... and they don't give it to me.

Anyone have any tricks to make the hubbys and kids help around the house?? I'm having one of those days that I'm feeling overworked and underappriciated. I'm thinking about just stopping doing the dishes, the laundry, and the picking up so they'll be forced to do it themselves.

CarlyCo

Asked by CarlyCo at 5:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• My kids have always been taught to help. All of them make their own beds, pick up their own toys, clean their own rooms, help with dinner prep and cleanup, and have assigned chores. It's not an option not to help.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Do it! That's what I did to my hubby. He kept saying "Babe, I need laundry done" so I would say "Okay..." meaning "Okay, and you're telling me this because...?" Finally he got the idea that his laundry is his job, when he was completely out of clean underwear and socks!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• DH, threaten NO sex. Kids, No perks.

Answer by louise2 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• do it
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• good lucky.. i get no help around the house too.. if you stop they will still not do it.. i'v been there and back.. they will get mad at you for not haveing the dishes, the laundry done.
    ladys007toner

Answer by ladys007toner at 5:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If you let it go, it will wait for you. Deligate jobs and tell them they have to do them before 5:00pm or before supper or before going out or before an activity etc..
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I guess I'm lucky.But we don't have anymore kids at home.They need to understand that what you do is a full time job in its self.I don't really agree with the going on strike thing but if the kids can't even clean their bedroom,which probably means dirty clothes,then I know I wouldn't want to go to school in dirty clothes.I know when I was growing up, every Saturday was chore day & that included every person who lived there.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 5:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I tried the "strike"....and in the end, you'll end up doing it all and more. They don't notice, or don't care that the kitchen garbage can is over flowing. And when they run out of clean socks, they'll find the cleanest of the dirty socks to wear. Believe me, I went down that approach. When I asked to take the trash out, they say,"now?" No a week from now. And finally when I start getting over whelmened, I blow my stack, and I'm screaming like a raging maniac!! THEN, they jump up and start doing the things their responsible for, (and theres not many of them). And later, I apoligize for the "outburst" and try to explain how they push me to that point. Things go good, for awhile.......So I don't know if I helped you any, this is just my story. Good luck
    marinemom53

Answer by marinemom53 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I tried this with my dh before children, I ended up having to clean it up by myself. My dh still doesn't help, I'm not sure he even knows how to operate the washer and dryer. I have learned I do what I can and if I can't do it all then so be it. Now with the children I make cleaning up a game. Or use something they want to do as leverage. Like if they want to go outside and ride their bikes I tell them I can't do anything until I get their toys up or get vacuumed. They usually get moving then. And making it a "race" really makes them participate! There are times I have to take privileges away if my game doesn't work. As for my dh, I've given up, but if his things (primarily his dirty socks) aren't in the basket I don't pick them up. He can do that much. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2010