Abnormal Amniocentesis Results: Xtra Chromosome 2 anyone elese experience this?

i am pregnant i had an amnio and the results showed and extra chromosome 2. the doc and genetics counsilor are clueless they had no anwsers for me.

Bentley0819

Asked by Bentley0819 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't terminate!!! This could be nothing, you can still have a healthy baby. I would pray about it and hope for the best. Doctors can be wrong and often times are
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Just be glad you had an extra and not one less...thats what im dealing with. I did not go for my amnio yet but thats what the dr. thinks. we will see...find a second opinion
    firztimemom

Answer by firztimemom at 11:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I'm the one that lost the baby and wouldn't terminate. i'm so glad we didn't... yes it was hard but it can be harder killing it first
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Im not telling her to terminate!!! all i am saying is find out what it means so you know what your dealing with. Find someone who knows what this is!
    firztimemom

Answer by firztimemom at 11:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I didn't even read your post! chill out!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Have you tried to search it on the internet? Is the genetic counselor going to find you some answers. You may just have to wait until it is born to see what is wrong. It could be wrong.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:41 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I found this....and i would get a 2nd opinion too

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00478.htm
    http://www.babycenter.com/404_what-does-it-mean-when-a-baby-has-an-extra-chromosome_5279.bc

Just google it....GL I hope everything turns out okay with you and your LO.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Trisomy 2 is very rare.
    I would consider getting a second amnio - it is possible a mistake was made.
    Other than that, I found a support group that might be able to give you more information...
    http://www.rarechromo.org/html/home.asp
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• DOn't get a second amnio. The first one increased your chances of miscarriage. Just wait until the baby is born and they can run real genetic tests on it. Those tests are not always right.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• While I do agree that there is a possiblility that a mistake has been made, I must say that in all actuality that's probably not what happened.

I work in a lab, and when we get weird results back from any kind of test, we retest to make sure that those results are right. In extreme cases, we test 3 or 4 times. I couldn't imagine that something like this would not catch the eye of the tech doing the test, and that the tech would not retest to be sure of the results that they are sending out.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008