Did you hear? Now he isn't burning the Quran...

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The minister of a Florida church said he has canceled plans to burn copies of the Quran because the leader of a much-opposed plan to build an Islamic Center near ground zero has agreed to move its location. The agreement couldn't be immediately confirmed.

The Rev. Terry Jones said Thursday that Americans oppose the mosque being built at the location and that Muslims do not want the Quran burned. He said instead of his plan to burn the books on Saturday to mark the ninth anniversary of 9/11, he will be flying to New York to speak to Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf about moving the mosque.

"We are, of course, now against any other group burning Qurans," Jones said during a news conference. We would right now ask no one to burn Qurans. We are absolutely strong on that. It is not the time to do it."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• But apparently that's not good enough.
    ____________________
    The reason it's not good enough is that he is making up some kind of deal in which he equivalates people who did nothing wrong building a place of worship to a hateful, bigoted act of burning another religion's holy book. The divisiveness he has caused is not solved by him saying "I changed my mind." It is certainly better than going through with it, however.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• What a moron. I am SURE he is not the man to go "fix" this problem!!!

So let me get this strait....only burn qurans when HE says its ok....is he the leader of the free world! He tells us all when and what to do....moron!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I keep seeing the center moving (according to idiot pastor) but I can't find a credible statement from anyone who counts. Anything official yet?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I found an absolute NO from the property mgr in response to this. Can't link on phone, but it's in an ABC article on google top news right now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I think he finally realized the death threats on him were no joke. This wasn't about the Cordoba Center it was about publicity. Then it became about protecting his own ass.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I guess his 15min of fame is up! Now he can go away.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• So they came to an agreement. Good. Now we can worry about whats important. The economy and rampant gov. spending
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I still believe he and Imam are both douchers. This is all petty crap. They are acting like all the stupid foreign countries that hate us for no real reason and those people that hate anyone different than they are.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I guess he got more than his 15 minutes of fame!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010