Restaurant Behavior

I was at a wedding rehearsal dinner at a very nice restaurant the other night. I was talking with the brides mother and we agreed that our children would not get up and run around at a restaurant. They would sit and listen and speak when spoken to.
We talked further and decided that the difference between that generation and todays young kids is that they go out to eat much more often and they are use to being entertained at restaurants. Play areas, video games, they have been taught that eating out is kid's party time.
Somehow, I would like to have it both ways. I want to take my grandchildren out for a good time, but I also want them to know when it is appropriate for them to sit politely at the table.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 6:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I raised my girl to eat at home the way they eat at a reasraurant. Sit their and be quiet and eat your food. the only exseption is if we are at a chuckycheese type place.

Answer by louise2 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If you want them to sit politely at the table at a restaurant, be sure you have them sit politely at home.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My kids have never gotten up and ran around a restaurant. Its not so much this day in age.. Its just like in every other generation, it depends on how the parents raise the kids. Unfortunately for this generation.. There are a lot more lazy parents.. Thats why more kids are like that. But not all of them.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't think it has anything to do with a "generation" - I'm 32 and my kids were both taught how to act in public whether it be at a restaurant or anywhere else. To me it's polite parenting to teach your children how to behave.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am 27 and our son sits nicely and does not run around in the a restaurants. That being said...my son is free to speak whenever he wants as long as he is not interrupting people and waits his turn.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010