really gassy baby

ok girls my two week old is really really gassy. I don't want to give him any meds because I think he's just a little too young for that already. Any advice. He's just sitting here grunting and whining. He keeps acting like he has to poop. He's had hiccups all day too. My poor baby :(

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 6:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfed or formula fed? If you are breastfeeding it can be due to baby getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk.

I think that a lot of babies get really gassy at around 2-3 weeks as their digestive system matures.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• sometimes wiggling their legs (mime bike riding) helps, burping them a couple times in the middle of the feeding (not just at the end, but maybe every 5 minutes) can help sometimes.
    Peppermint Water helps sometimes, too.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• if formula fed try switchin my baby hated similac advance and i went to sensitive and it helped. hes also breastfed so if it gets to bad you could try laying him on his tummy mylicon drops etc...
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 8:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with dairyberrys- the Similac Advance they give at most hospitals is awful! We, too, switched to the senstitive and it made a huge difference. Maybe try switiching to the Sensitive kind of formula for whatever brand you are using. Burping more often and using mylicon drops helped for us, too.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Oh, and Gripe Water works great for Hiccups... Gets rid of them instantly! =)
    Lisa.Price

• Hi, gripe water and move his legs in & out towards his chest or like bicycle movement it works, do it off & on through out the day. My son was really gassy also.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with the bike ridin with the legs and belly rubs.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• while hiccups are normal, too often can possibly mean reflux. My baby at a cople weeks old was really fussy due to gas and she had alot of hiccups. It turns out when she was 2 months old we found out she has acid reflux. Alot of the fussiness was due to that and the hiccups too.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 1:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• there is formula out there for gassy babies, burp between every two ounces, and Mylicon is the over the counter med if you want to go that route. i personally didn't notice any improvement for my infant. she just had trouble getting those burps out.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 2:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I agree with jet360- our son has severe acid reflux and he was a very gassy, hiccupy baby before we discovered his reflux. You may want to mention it to your pedi.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 8:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2010