Would you marry someone just for the insurance benefits?

adakbride

Asked by adakbride at 6:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Health

• Hell no! I marry for love and nothing else.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• sure..there's a lot to be said for being financially secure, whether on a day-to-day basis, or when you're in a medical pickle.
    would i leave my dh because of lack of financial benefits? no.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• NO, The guy would have to be rich for me to marry for money.

Answer by louise2 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• no..but that is one of the reasons i wanted to get married so soon
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You know.... 20 months a go I would have said "hell no." But now with an 19 month old with very expensive health care needs, I now understand how complex and heartwrenching health care costs are. Even with health insurance we have to compromise in some areas becauase we simply cannot afford the best care out there (which someone on medicaid would have access to) So if I were single, had a major health problem, and a male friend offered to marry me so I would have health coverage, fully understanding it wouldn't be a traditional marriage, I would certainly do it. But I wouldn't lie or decieve or fake being in love to the person.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No, because you might die before him and you live a terrible life.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 6:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• And on the total opposite end of it.... yes, I would consider (and have considered) divorcing my husband so my child can qualify for medicaid. So far we aren't to that point yet, but if our little guys' situation got worse, I would do what I had to do so my child could get the care he needs.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Hmmm??? I'd save $1,200 per month... That's a thought! LOL! I can't judge because You never know what you need to do sometimes.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes if I also loved the person and was committed to them anyway. I doubt I'll ever re-marry, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No. There is only one good reason to marry. That is because I love and am committed to that man.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010