Should I be upset or am I being a cry baby??

Ok my daughter is the closest grandchild to my parents.... yet her birthday is next weekend and we had to reschedule the party 6 hrs earlier because my mom has another party for an adult to attend. I'm glad she is going to be able to come but I swear it feels like i have to make an appointment 2 months in advance just to talk to or see my mom. My husband is pissed that we made arrangements for my dad to be able to come which would be on a sunday, so we told everyone when it would be. then my mom calls and says it is too long a drive for my dad to make workin 6 days a week cause he needs his rest.. so we change it to the saturday before and make it for in the afternoon convenient for everyone BUT my mom. She told me I can't expect them to be at every birthday, but i think there is no excuse cause they only live an hour away.. should i be mad that i have to conform to her schedule so she can be at her grand daughter's birthday?

jtaylor87

Asked by jtaylor87 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• for only once a year probably if they don't come and see her much in the first place.
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• go through this EVERYDAY. Say, mom i would love for you to come, but this is about our daughter, and this is the most convenient time.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would be upset but I wouldn't change all my plans just for them. It's unfair to you and your family and your parents need to know that the world doesn't revolve around them
    ShermanJinkles

Answer by ShermanJinkles at 6:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Pick a date & time and stick to it. If they cant make it, I'm sure they will come over another time to celebrate with her. Maybe that special one-on-one time on a different day than her party will create wonderful memories w/ her grandparents. Dont look at the obstacle, look at the opportunity. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I set dates and times. If they can't get there at the time that is convenient for me then they can come another time.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My kids are the only grandchildren on both sides, and lived near all grandparents. very rarely did grandparents show up to any of their birthdays or special events.......my father in law usually came, but that was it. It definitely bothered me, but I just planned and made their day as special as I could. They are all grown now. I'm looking forward to grandchildren, and I can tell you that I hope my daughter in laws want me around, because if I'm not at an event, it will be because I wasn't invited, or it was impossible to be there!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with Shaysmommy and admckenzie, make the time and if they can come that's great. If not then tell them you'll send a picture. My boys are the only grandchildren on both sides, my parents wouldn't miss a thing. My dh's parents don't make them a priority. It's their loss. :o/
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree it's your DD birthday, you should be concentrating on making it a happy, special day for her. Tell them the time,, date and if they can't come, consider it their loss. I wouldn't get all worked up and let it ruin your day or your husbands if you can. If they ask about the party just tell her it was GREAT and your DD had a really fun day, and make her as JEALOUS as you can that they missed it.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Do what makes you happy,a not your mother.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• thats fucked up u should make your little girl happy not your mom
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010