How do you get rid of fruit flies?

Yuck! They have taken over my sink. I used bleach in the drain, they decreased but have not gone.

2and2onway

Asked by 2and2onway at 6:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• my gramma puts water in sandwich bags, ties them up, and hangs them all over her house.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Okay, this is the only other thing I can think of.. Sorry its a really obvious answer lol, but did you get rid of the fruit?
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• LOL there isn't even any fruit. I think they are coming out of the drain that's why I used bleach in the drains.
    2and2onway

Comment by 2and2onway (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Is it your garbage disposal? Maybe there is something in that.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We do not have a disposal
    2and2onway

Comment by 2and2onway (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Some homeowners pour vinegar or bleach down their kitchen sink drains. Unfortunately this tactic doesn't get rid of the fruit flies. It might drown a few, bleach a few, or make a few smell like a pickled fruit fly. Otherwise, the fruit flies are still in your home.

There is an easy and very inexpensive way to rid of your home of fruit flies. Simply build a fruit fly trap and trap the fruit flies in the traps. All you need to build a fruit fly trap is a banana or two, a knife, some cling wrap or similar plastic wrap, a few rubber bands, and old plastic jars or bowls that can be thrown away after use. Using an empty mayonnaise jar, plastic butter bowl, or plastic lunch meat container will work. Don't use any container that you want to keep. Be sure the container is deep enough to hold a few slices of banana.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• One natural remedy is a bowl of cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap left on the counter....they are attracted to it, but i've personaly found that they tend to go to the rim of the bowl to hang out and not go into the mixture.

Don't use bleach, but you can kill larvae in the drain with baking soda and vinegar.....just put some baking soda in the drain then follow with vinegar...it will foam up.

For the existing fruit flies in the hosue I had to buy a trap at a local hardware store, it's a plastic trap shaped like a mini apple, you put the red liquid in it, it attracts them inside and then they can't get out. This is the only thing that helped me finally get rid of them once and for all.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Good question
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010